Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: CeGUI or sfGUI  (Read 5512 times)

BigBurger

• View Profile
CeGUI or sfGUI
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »
Hey guys, im new here :D and i have a question:
Is CeGUI using sfml?
and can I do the same stuff with sfGUI as in CeGUI?
What are positive and negative points in CeGUI and sfGUI...because I can't decide
thanks

gyscos

• View Profile
Re: CeGUI or sfGUI
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:10:06 pm »
CeGUI has many backends, including openGL, that SFML can use. But CeGUI doesn't use SFML directly, so you don't need SFML to use CEGUI.

CEGUI is a bigger project, but may also be a bit harder to use (damn, it's getting cliché in here).

You can probably do everything you want with any of them. I chose CeGUI, because not all of my projects use SFML, but there's no bad pick with either one.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:18 pm »
If you want to compare their features go to the respective websites and look at them. ;)

The decision itself is personal preference. CeGUI is a bit older and thus has already a wider widget and function support, but with that it also got heavier. SFGUI on the other hand is quite new, has a nice code design and one of the big pros for SFGUI are the layouter features, which handle the resizing and position automatically.

I personally prefer SFGUI for multiple reasons. For instance I know the main devs behind it quite a bit and I like to support newer projects. Additionally I'm working with one of the devs on a game that should in the future use SFGUI again for the interface and thus I'm interested in seeing the project evolve further. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »
SFGUI doesn't use SFML for it's renderer either, only for gl context and some utilities like events and strings.
CEGUI looks nice but I don't really know it so I'm not giving any recommandations for it.
I'm sure you'll not go wrong with SFGUI for your SFML projects though.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:17:01 am »
Keep in mind that if you need overly complicated widgets that aren't part of the SFGUI widget set yet, then you should use CEGUI from the start. If you only need "common" widgets like buttons, textboxes, labels, notebooks, scrollbars etc. you should be fine using SFGUI. I admit there are many places where users need to workaround things that aren't implemented yet, but bear in mind that SFGUI took off last year and had a few rewrites whereas CEGUI has been around since I was playing around with SDL which was so many years ago... Right now we have a long list of things that we want to implement into SFGUI but Tank and I haven't had much time lately because of real life commitments. We're hoping that during the winter holidays we'll have time to implement solutions to the most common needs of the users.

If you have any questions regarding the usage of SFGUI (if you choose to use it that is) you can always ask on the forums. Feel free to ask for new widgets as well because that is the only way we can know what would make sense to implement in the future.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:13:14 am »
Before we started SFGUI, I was also looking around for GUI libraries that could be used in conjunction with SFML. CEGUI was one of them. The widget support is nice, and they also have some neat effects. But I couldn't stand the heaviness and code design. It's something that's very important for me, because often you have to patch external libraries to have a feature that you miss, or to quickly fix something. If you then need hours to get into the critical parts of the sources, it starts to become annoying. ;)

Like binary1248 said, there's still a lot of stuff in the pipeline, and we are of course also accepting patches and help in general (read the GUIDELINES file if you plan to contribute and want to save yourself some time ;)).

However, in general: Always pick what suits your demands best. If you need some features *now* that SFGUI doesn't provide but CEGUI does, go for it.

BigBurger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »
I think I'll use sfGUI because as I understood sfGUI is
-much easier
-probably better support :D
-and Tank is from germany and that's good because I'm from germany too and I'm 14 so english is not very good :/

Thanks Guys

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:55 pm »
and Tank is from germany and that's good because I'm from germany too and I'm 14 so english is not very good :/
Besides that your English is perfectly understandable: Do you expect personal training now? ;)

BigBurger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:40 pm »
I just think that I probably won't understand the tutorials. And if I have questions I can ask somebody...thats why it's important that the founder is somebody who can talk german :) .