Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML SpriteSheet animation library?  (Read 4893 times)

Eamonn

• I love programming :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
SFML SpriteSheet animation library?
« on: July 13, 2013, 01:46:05 am »
I was watching CodingMadeEasy's tutorial on SpriteSheet animation in SFML. I have to say everything up until this point has been really simple. This is something I just don't grasp. I've programmed in Lua+Love2d, but it had a library for spritesheet animation. I know of Thor, which is the extention on SFML, and it offers Animation. Does Thor offer complete compatibility with SFML? Like, can I only use one part of the Thor library(like the animation lib) but everything else in SFML? Is Thor better to use for games?

I'm still learning SFML, and I'd say I'd be better off learning SFML before using libraries, otherwise it'd just be a huge headache down the road. Don't rage if this is a stupid question. Don't hate or put me down for my opinion.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
Stuff.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: SFML SpriteSheet animation library?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:11:57 am »
Does Thor offer complete compatibility with SFML? Like, can I only use one part of the Thor library(like the animation lib) but everything else in SFML?
Yes, Thor is organized in a modular way: You can use the features you like and implement the rest yourself or use another library. It's not an interwoven game engine that dictates every aspect ;)

There is no tutorial for the animations yet, but you could look at the API documentation and the example in the SDK. And don't hesitate to ask if there are questions :)

I'm still learning SFML, and I'd say I'd be better off learning SFML before using libraries, otherwise it'd just be a huge headache down the road.
Indeed, knowing the basics of C++ and SFML is not a bad idea. Also, Thor is built on top of SFML, it doesn't replace it.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Eamonn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:17:06 am »
Wow! I didn't think the creator of Thor would reply to me! Assuming you are the creator(I'm just judging on your profile picture). SFML is a great library, but the spritesheet animation thing is kinda bugging me. Now I'll just use Thor for it, after I learn SFML. I find I learn a little more of C++(or any language using any library) the more I use and learn about SFML. Thanks for the help!  :)
Stuff.

Eamonn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 02:47:50 am »
Oh!! Can I use other SFML libraries with Thor? Assuming they don't clash with SFML and Thor, will they work? And I also assume that Thor is for SFML2.0? Sorry for double posting, but I think this is relevant to add. The particular library I want to use is called "TGUI" and/or SFGUI.
Stuff.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 02:50:10 am »
Yes of course, you can use any library that's compatible :)
Maybe don't write using namespace to avoid possible name collisions.

Thor is for SFML 2.0, you just have to make sure that you download the latest Git revision or the nightly builds.
SFML Game Development:

Eamonn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:55:58 am »
Sweet! I don't use namespaces, and I forgot C++ had that feature. I'm too used to Lua  :P Thanks! When I'm done with SFML(which will hopefully be in a few days) I'll be looking into Thor and TGUI and SFGUI. Also, would you mind if I make a tutorial on Thor? Just to help people that might prefer a video tutorial. Obviously I'd tell you when I made it and stuff, but I love the open-source community! I'm actually out right now, and I'm watching SFML tutorials because I'm so dedicated :) Anyway, good luck with Thor and anything else you might be working on!!
Stuff.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:59:49 am »
Also, would you mind if I make a tutorial on Thor?
To be honest... Yes :P

The problem is, Thor is still under heavy development, so your tutorial might quickly become outdated. Therefore I'd prefer to write the tutorials myself, but thanks for the offer!

Anyway, good luck with Thor and anything else you might be working on!!
Thanks a lot, you too! :)
SFML Game Development:

Eamonn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 03:03:21 am »
No sweat bro! I just wanted to check with you :) Thor seems like an amazing library and thank you for making it! :)
Stuff.

magneonx

• MSN Messenger - magnumneon04@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:54:26 am »
Hello! I just wanted to ask, do I have to build this? I have GCC 4.6 and Code::Blocks 12 running on WIndows 7 64bit.

[Yeah I think I have to build this]

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: SFML SpriteSheet animation library?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:21:27 am »
If you'd update your GCC version you could use a version of my Nightly Builds. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

anything