Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Trouble setting up SFML  (Read 2552 times)

murray8989

• View Profile
Trouble setting up SFML
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:10 am »
Hi. I am extremely frustrated with trying to get SFML 2.1 working on my Ubuntu 13.10 in code::Blocks 12.11. I have been trying for several days and I am going crazy! I have downloaded all the dependencies, uninstalled, re-installed, and repeated. I have read through about 20 tutorials. I have tried the using repositories that are suppose to completely set it up, downloading the pre-compiled version and putting the folders in the right spot, building 2.1 from source, building 2.0 from source. With all of these attempts, I get stuck with some cryptic error message that sends me down another path towards continued frustration! I am a college student with intermediate c++ experience. I'm not a computer science major and so setting up these libraries is a bit of a stretch for my skills. Does anyone know where I can find some help? I just want to make a freaking circle with SFML  :'( .

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Trouble setting up SFML
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:03:07 am »
You can find help here, but you need to be more precise on the error messages and your current setup stage.

In general it's best to compile SFML from source, so all dependencies will bd the ones you currently have.

The setup goes about like this:
- Download the SFML source from GitHub
- Install all dependencies as listsd in the Linux tutorial.
- Install CMake and GCC/Clang.
- Go through the official SFML CMake tutorial step by step.
- sudo make install
- Profit

So where do you get stuck?  )
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

murray8989

• View Profile
Re: Trouble setting up SFML
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »
Thanks so much for you're response. I feel helpless. As I mentioned in my original post, I have followed these steps through many tutorials including the official SFML CMake tutorial. I have actually done this tutorial several times. I recognize that I did not provide an error in the first post, mainly because I get different errors just about every time I try a new tutorial. Currently, I am looking at at the "Build messages" window in code::blocks 12.11 and the error that I am getting is (I don't know if I'm suppose to post giant error messages here) something about libGLEW.so.1.5 missing. This is the third time I have had this error. Being a competent computer user, I searched for this error and found several other users with the same error. The solution prescribed for this error was to compile SFML from source (which I had already done). I assumed I had done something wrong so I repeated this (following the SFML CMake tutorial explicitly) for SFML 2.1. After redoing the tutorial I got the same error. AHHHHH!!!! After patching the hole I punched through the drywall next to my computer, I decided that I would try SFML 2.0. Maybe god doesn't want me to use SFML 2.1. I followed to same steps using the SFML 2.0 source. This resulted in exactly the same error (missing libGLEW.so.1.5) which is where I am at now. And before you suggest that I download libGLEW 1.5 using sudo apt-get... I have already done it about 50 times. I have uninstalled libGLEW and reinstalled it so many times I'm starting to worry that the 100,000 write cycles on my SSD are about to run out. Someone please help me!

murray8989

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:35:34 pm »
Bump. So after spending another week trying to do this I am still unable to compile even the test program.

The error I am getting now is "fatal error: /usr/local/include/SFML/stdc-predef.h: Permission denied".

Since my last post I have completely re-installed the operating system and lost a hard drive in the process. I was hoping that I had, in my many installations of SFML, inadvertently messed something up. This test program is now my freaking white whale. HELP!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:20:26 pm »
The error I am getting now is "fatal error: /usr/local/include/SFML/stdc-predef.h: Permission denied".
That file doesn't even exist... ;D

Since my last post I have completely re-installed the operating system and lost a hard drive in the process. I was hoping that I had, in my many installations of SFML, inadvertently messed something up. This test program is now my freaking white whale. HELP!
Given that you've tried about everything we said multiple times and it's really hard to tell what you're doing (wrong), the only thing I could offer is a teamviewer session, at best with voice chat. PM for details. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

murray8989

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »
So I got it working. The last bit there was me setting up the SFML files in a restricted directory.

You might mention in the Linux tutorial (the part that directs to the windows codeblocks tutorial) that the files need to be put in the home folder on linux not in the restricted filesystem. Although I'm sure this is obvious for people with more linux experience, it can be confusing to newbies as there are lib and include folders already in these directories. This would save morons like me a ton of frustration.

Thanks for your help eXpl0it3r. I'm sure I'll have more annoying questions in the future.