Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2098 times)

Omnipraesens

• View Profile
Hello!
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:36:39 am »
Hello,

I recently discovered SFML, and I must say, I vastly prefer it over SDL... I might even say in some cases that SFML is superior.
I would consider myself a novice C++ programmer... I'm sloooooow, and I don't know any other languages. Anyway, you know what works really well with SFML when making games? A little (okay, maybe not so little) and very ambitious free library called Ultimate++, which comes paired with it's own really awesome IDE. It does a lot of things unrelated to games, yes, but its Core library and IDE for me are simply indispensable as programming aids. Their website is: http://www.ultimatepp.org

Also, though everybody probably knows about them, the Boost libraries (http://www.boost.org) are really great to use in almost any application, due to their multitude of great generic features.

I use the aforementioned libraries to almost completely supplant the standard libraries in my applications. Does anyone have comments on that?

Well, I hope someone else finds my information useful or at very least finds it amusing (whether condescendingly or not, it doesn't matter).

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:53:50 pm »
Is this an introduction or a question about libraries?  ??? Anyways, most people won't care what libraries you pick to go with.  ;)
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Hello!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:38 pm »
Is this an introduction or a question about libraries?
Advertisement for Ultimate++ :P

I use the aforementioned libraries to almost completely supplant the standard libraries in my applications. Does anyone have comments on that?
This can be a good idea if your application is heavily interacting with these libraries, e.g. very GUI-focused. But I would probably not recommend it general, especially if you're working with other people -- external libraries need some additional time to be understood, and they often do things differently... In short, there has to be a good reason for reinvening the wheel, and I have made the experience that many libraries fail to provide one ;)

Out of interest, what features are you exactly replacing, and what are they doing better? I wanted to have a look at Ultimate++ some years ago, but then eventually didn't. For Boost I'm wondering, as it is mostly an addition or contains parts that have already been integrated to the standard library...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:35:14 pm by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: