Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RPG prototype  (Read 6642 times)

albert_lazaro

• View Profile
    • Email
RPG prototype
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:20:49 pm »
Good afternoon, I have been working on the project since the last days of March approx. The project consists of doing a little RPG prototype, so the game is a 2D top-down RPG inspired by the old Final Fantasy games (from I to VI).

What could we do in the prototype?

The basic idea of the prototype is that the player controls a character who moves in a grid-based movement. The world in that the character lives has towns, castles, dungeons... and an overworld. Towns are where the character can buy items, weapons, can learn new spells, can talk to NPCs, can rest in an inn... In the overworld and dungeons, the hero fights with different enemies. The fights start when the character is moving (that's random) and a battle screen is displayed in order to perform it in a turn-based system (Well, the typical Final Fantasy games).

What have I achieved?

For the moment I have been building the basics of a game engine (game loop, resource management, game states management). Also I can display a "map" using a tileset and I can move the character in a smooth grid-based movement with animation.

Why are you doing this project?

I have different reasons that have motivated me to start this project:
  • I always wanted to do my own RPG after I have played the old Final Fantasy games, that I love them and I have replayed them a lot of times.
  • I want to improve my coding skills and be better at structuring software projects.
  • Having a project is always better in a portfolio than nothing.

I will keep this thread updated when I add new features to the prototype  :)

Finally, you can follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/alazaro92 to get new updates or in my blog (https://lazaro92.github.io), that I have to write more in it.