Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VS2017 and VS2019 work just fine with same solution  (Read 10348 times)

OceanJeff40

• View Profile
    • Email
VS2017 and VS2019 work just fine with same solution
« on: April 21, 2019, 07:56:17 am »
I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to work, but it works for me:

I did a fresh install of Visual Studio 2017 and setup and compiled SFML examples (with a little bit of help from this forum, see my previous thread....rofl).

Then I did a fresh install of Visual Studio 2019 side by side on the same computer with VS2017, and the first solution I opened was my SFML solution, and it popped up with the retarget window, which I did, and it works, compiles and runs, right out of the box!

Is there something I'm missing?  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's working, as I'm going to try to replicate this success on another computer setup (my main setup for programming), and on my laptop also.

I just wanted some comments on this, because the website tutorial specifies that you need to compile and etc, do all this extra stuff to run SFML code in Visual Studio 2019...?

Here's the quote from the website:

You must download the package that matches your version of Visual C++. Indeed, a library compiled with VC++ 10 (Visual Studio 2010) won't be compatible with VC++ 12 (Visual Studio 2013) for example. If there's no SFML package compiled for your version of Visual C++, you will have to build SFML yourself.

Because this VS2019 install, I didn't compile SFML, I just loaded the solution and ran it out of the box.

Alright, let the commenting begin, and thanks,

Jeff Cummings

OceanJeff40

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: VS2017 and VS2019 work just fine with same solution
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 08:13:01 am »
Ok, I just tried to re-build the solution with VS2017....

I had to change the platform toolset back to VS2017 v141, because it compiles with VS2019 v142.

...but it works.

I'm going to try to figure out some of this network stuff, maybe multi-player?  Wish me luck guys,

Jeff Cummings

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 11:07:26 am »
Yes, VS 2019 works with SFML VS 2017, you just may need the correct SDK or toolchain.
Generally, I'd still recommend to rebuild.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

OceanJeff40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:54:01 am »
Ok, so when you rebuild, do you get all new .lib files, and all new .dll files?  I'll have to try that...!

Thank you,

Jeff Cummings