Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Textures not loading properly in sprites in vectors  (Read 2666 times)

MediocreVeg1

• View Profile
Textures not loading properly in sprites in vectors
« on: December 20, 2020, 05:54:36 pm »
Sorry about the ambiguous title, it's a bit hard to explain :-[
I'm also a new to this forum and SFML in general, so please bear with me.
Basically, I created a class Npc which is a child class of sf::Sprite and has a few extra variables and objects in it, one of which is sf::Texture texture. I also made an std::vector<Npc> to contain multiple NPC sprites for a single map. However, when i run my program, only the texture of the last Npc object actually shows, while the others are simply a blank, white square. Since I've used a for loop to put the information (lilke position, texture file, etc.), the code for all NPCs is identical, so i fail to understand why only the last NPC's texture is showing.

The code for The vector is somewhat confusing to show since I've made a parser and used std::variant, but if you ask for it (or anything else like a screenshot of the game), I'll try my best to show only the necessary infromation. It's also night where I am, so it could take some hours before I respond in the morning or afternoon. Thanks in advance  :D

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Textures not loading properly in sprites in vectors
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 07:51:40 pm »
This is known as the white square problem. I'm sure you'll find many topics on this subject on the forum, it's even mentioned in the sprites tutorial.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

MediocreVeg1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 08:00:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it :)

MediocreVeg1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 08:07:28 pm »
Hmm, i checked the tutorial and another page on the forum, and the issue in both seems to be that, due to the texture being in a loop/function, it is erased when the loop/function ends. However, by specifically putting the texture in the Npc class, meaning that the texture will last as long as the object, shouldn't this not be a problem in the first place?

MediocreVeg1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 08:11:42 pm »
Sorry for the constant replies, i now understand that it has to do with the copying of the textures in the vector. I'll try looking for more libraries with better resource management, thanks for the help.

anything