Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What's involved with making a new binding for sfml?  (Read 2594 times)

tsiegel

• View Profile
    • http://www.softcon.com/mac/
What's involved with making a new binding for sfml?
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:20 am »
I'd like to create sfml bindings for use with pascal on osx.  Ideally, the bindings would work with both fpc and gpc, but one or the other is fine as well.  My question:  What do I need to do to make sfml usable from either of these compilers? If I need to translate the c headers to pascal, that's fine, but I'm not sure if that's necessary (especially with gpc) so, if anyone has any suggestions/ideas, (of course, saying ask on the gpc forums is ok) I could really use this port.  Also, does anyone have any idea what work would be required to make the python bindings work on OSX? If anyone knows, and can let me know, I'd be more than happy to do the work, I just need some pointers/assistance on getting started on these things.
(oh, I'll do the perl bindings for osx too once I figure out how) :)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »
Well, I know nothing about Pascal and the related stuffs. But, as you said, you need to use the C-binding. And the C-Binding needs «original» SFML framework (C++), which I'm currently trying to port for OS X.

So I won't be able to help you in your work. But maybe YOU can help me!  :)

(I got some trouble with the Graphics module : I cannot display some sf::Drawable for some unknown reasons. So if you're good at OpenGL and OS X frameworks that would be very nice.)

Or maybe you're planning on creating the binding for SFML 1.x only (then you already have a usable version of SFML for mac) :?:
SFML / OS X developer

tsiegel

• View Profile
    • http://www.softcon.com/mac/
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
Yeah, I was planning on using the 1.6 version initially, until the 2.x version is finished being ported.  I don't know anything about osx and opengl, but I am on several apple mailing lists, including the cocoa, quicktime, and darwin, all of which sometimes talk about opengl stuff.  If you want to contact me offlist, we can pool our resources, and see what can be done.  I'm of course willing to assist, since I'd really like to get version 2.x ported.
Quote from: "Hiura"
Well, I know nothing about Pascal and the related stuffs. But, as you said, you need to use the C-binding. And the C-Binding needs «original» SFML framework (C++), which I'm currently trying to port for OS X.

So I won't be able to help you in your work. But maybe YOU can help me!  :)

(I got some trouble with the Graphics module : I cannot display some sf::Drawable for some unknown reasons. So if you're good at OpenGL and OS X frameworks that would be very nice.)

Or maybe you're planning on creating the binding for SFML 1.x only (then you already have a usable version of SFML for mac) :?:

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:13:04 am »
It's really nice of you. Currently I've no "hey buddy! Where is my bug" code, I still need to dig into SFML's core to have some minimal code. But if I still didn't have found it when this task is done I'll came tell you "hi"   :)
SFML / OS X developer