Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: joysticks with more than 7 axis  (Read 1489 times)

krux

• View Profile
joysticks with more than 7 axis
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »
Hi
actually i am not using SFML, but I maybe someday i might use it. My question belongs to the limitations of supported Joysticks. If SFML really wants to support many platforms, than it should consider to support input devices such as the PS3 controller. This controller has one axis for nearly all buttons. Even the digital pad on the left has analog sensors. Over all the controller has 14 Axis plus 4 from the motion sensor making 18 axis.

Is there any interest to support this high number of axis within the API. I know it is impossible to support this under windows. But in my opinion this is not a reason to ban this feature from the API. Having many platform specific features in the API helps to exploit the target platforms better, so in the end it raises the quality of games.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:32:15 pm »
I agree.

I think the best solution for Windows would be to use DirectInput if available (checking and loading it at runtime, to avoid a static dependency on it). With DirectInput we can then get many more joystick features, force feedback, etc.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »
Only problem is that Microsoft themselves have more or less deprecated DirectInput. They recommend against it in their own documentation. (suggesting to use normal window messages and XInput instead)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:24:04 pm »
You're right, now it's XInput.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything