Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: drawing quad efficiently for Spine  (Read 6076 times)

NateS

• View Profile
    • Email
drawing quad efficiently for Spine
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:04:48 am »
I'm working on SFML support for Spine. I need to draw a number of textured quads (not rects!). What is the most efficient way to do this? Can I batch the drawing? Likely the textures come from a texture atlas. I am using SFML 2.0. I know little about SFML so I thought I'd ask what was most efficient since others will be using the Spine runtime I'm writing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:07:58 am by NateS »

Weeve

• C++ Programmer (Intermediate), 3D Artist (Skilled)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: drawing quad efficiently for Spine
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:13:11 am »
by Quad, I immediately think of OpenGL, and could easily help you if your talking a 3D layout of 2D, but that would render stretch (I believe Spine is 2d?) if you don't want stretch, then why use a quad (all images are rectangles, anyway)? explain exactly what you want please?
Long live rapid project development! -- Kestrel3D Game-Engine nearing completion

Ancurio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:20 am »
Hm, the way I would do it personally is to create an sf::VertexArray with the number of quads*4 you'll be using (which won't have to be resized since you'll be using the same amount of quads throughout the animation, right?), attach them to the correct texture positions and then update their screen positions as the animation proceeds. This way you can always draw them in one call.

Weeve

• C++ Programmer (Intermediate), 3D Artist (Skilled)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 04:37:53 am »
Ahh.. so thats what he meant by quad.. btw this is addicting: http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?action=who
Long live rapid project development! -- Kestrel3D Game-Engine nearing completion

Halsys

• Halsys like Hal.sys
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:56:14 am »
I need to draw a number of textured quads
Well because your making a library to SFML, Make a class using sf::RectangleShape's(You wanted Quads,Closest thing) or sf::Sprite.
In this class have a array(Fast) or std::map(Convenient) of these sf::RectangleShapes's or sf::Sprites.
Then program a series of function that will change/load or check variables for the user...Kinda like SFML's.
As for drawing them to the screen, I would imagine making a inheritance to sf::Drawable would be the first step but I dont know how/where Laurent draws this stuff on the screen. Or if your lazy you can do it like me and make a function like this:
Spine::Draw(sf::Window* Window)
{
for(int I = 0;I == NumOfDrawables;I++)
{
Window->Draw(*Insert Drawable*);
}
}

Of course somewhere in there you might want to make a way to update positions/rotations for the animation.But of course this is all what I would do. But if you want more help, talk to Laurent(Author) or eXpl0it3r(Very Helpful)... They no more than I do apparently.
If you notice I put "....", in my sentences way too much... I'm sorry.

krzat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:42:59 am »
The most standard way is to use sprite classes. You can also try my xna-style spritebatch: http://pastebin.com/Wueaknvz . It should be more efficient.
SFML.Utils - useful extensions for SFML.Net

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: drawing quad efficiently for Spine
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:59 am »
As Ancurio already pointed out the most efficient way and most closest to OpenGL, is using sf::VertexArray or better std::vector<sf::Vertex>.
That way you can have one spritesheet texture and draw your whole character in one draw call.

The complicated part of this approach is that you'll have to transform the vertices manually on your own.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:20:19 am »
Vertex arrays are indeed the fastest possible way to draw batches of geometry, even dynamic ones. But you have to calculate the vertices positions manually, you can't use the GPU's transformations capabilities. However, using one transform matrix for each quad would be inefficient, so I think that a vertex array is really the best solution for you, especially since you'll use a single texture for all your nodes, and their count is constant.

For the transformations, unless you already have you own class, you can use sf::Transform which is a simple encapsulation of a 3x3 matrix.

To make the higher-level class (the one that users will manipulate and draw) SFML-friendly, you can make it inherit from sf::Drawable (allows it to be drawn with a call to window.draw(entity)), and from sf::Transformable (defines transformation functions to change the position, rotation and scale of the entity).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:22:13 am by Laurent »
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

NateS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:57 pm »
Great info, thanks for the jump start. Will see how far I can get today. I'm already calculating the vertices, so that is no problem. All I need to do is draw the little bastards! :)

Ancurio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:56:19 pm »
Great info, thanks for the jump start. Will see how far I can get today. I'm already calculating the vertices, so that is no problem. All I need to do is draw the little bastards! :)

sf::VertexArray is already a Drawable, so it goes straight into the window.draw() call ^^ Just remember to bind the texture, or pass it as part of a RenderStates instance.

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
I coded this class a while ago: https://github.com/SFML/SFML/wiki/Source%3A-High-Performance-Sprite-Container

It's still lacking some features and good naming, but it has almost all the basic transformations programmed to work through a std::vector of sf::Vertex.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:01 am »
I coded this class a while ago: https://github.com/SFML/SFML/wiki/Source%3A-High-Performance-Sprite-Container

It's still lacking some features and good naming, but it has almost all the basic transformations programmed to work through a std::vector of sf::Vertex.
I would recommend this kind of class for the final usage, not as a middleware to implement high-level entities. It just adds unnecessary layers, and removes some flexibility. As long as you need an efficient storage for implementation details, I'd recommend going with vertex arrays directly; especially for people who are not complete beginners.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything