Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Simple Chess Variant  (Read 3588 times)

nmb

• View Profile
    • Email
Simple Chess Variant
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:53:33 pm »
Hi,

I'm writing and interface to play a game that I called Slip (a chess variant) using SFML and TGUI. Using the program, one can play against one of the three engines that comes with it or make two engines play against each other. I have added a readme file with all the rules to play the game.

Thanks,

NMB

https://github.com/nmblais/Slip

sjaustirni

• View Profile
Re: Simple Chess Variant
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:50 am »
Hi!
Welcome to the SFML forums!

I have just a couple of offtopic notes.
  • when posting your project to Github, don't ZIP it up. It prevents browser users from browsing the code without having to download the whole ZIP and extract it. Viewing the commit changes is impossible on Github as well then
  • When posting a game here on the forum it's always nice if people don't have to download, compile and play the game to get any impression from it. Short gameplay video or screenshots are therefore always welcome.

nmb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:23:26 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I made the changes and I have also attached a screenshot of the interface.

NMB

https://github.com/nmblais/Slip

nmb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:16 pm »
I have uploaded a new version of Slip.exe improving the mouse behavior and the game management.

Thanks for trying the game,

NMB

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:37:15 pm »
Neat, looks interesting!

Maybe you want to try getting rid of the texture files, drawing everything using SFML's drawables? This way you could even make the screen scale with the resolution/size without making it blurry. For characters you could try the Unicode chess icons although those aren't in all font files.

sjaustirni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »
@nmb: You're very welcome!

I do agree with Mario that getting rid of the textures is an excellent idea. As to the idea font representing the chess pieces, it's even more splendid. You can choose a font supporting the Unicode block you need here, for instance: http://www.fontspace.com/unicode/char/265A-black-chess-king

Good luck!

nmb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the idea of getting rid of  the textures. In the meantime, I have uploaded an updated version of the program (0.6) which should be more stable. The data folder has also been updated.

NMB