Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What physics engine to use?  (Read 10402 times)

krrice

• View Profile
What physics engine to use?
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »
Hi,I was wondering what physics engine do you recommend using with SFML 2? I have been learning SFML 2 and Allegro 5 for a while now and would like to start using a physics engine. I do not have any experience with any engine but would like to start.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: What physics engine to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:36 pm »
Box2D seems to be the most popular choice.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Syntactic Fructose

• Overflowing stacks and eating snacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »
The havoc physics engine has long been a favorite also, I would give that a look.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:39:44 am »
The havoc physics engine has long been a favorite also, I would give that a look.
Except it's commercial, incredibly overpowered for anything 2D, and known for having some pretty bad bugs.
I use the latest build of SFML2

Halsys

• Halsys like Hal.sys
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:04:23 am »
Except it's commercial, incredibly overpowered for anything 2D, and known for having some pretty bad bugs.

Ah, but it usually makes games a lot more popular, just look at Skyrim/Fallout 3 and Half life 2.
You wouldn't be able to enjoy those games the same way without it... Glitched physics engines are more fun than the average run of the mill engine. And to say you cant use a 3D physics engine on a 2D game is kinda dumb as well... just don't use the Z axis... better yet... use it to your advantage(Think Little big planet and how they switch layers). If I had the money and time I would totally use Havok over Box2D just for my 2D platformer, because I can. Also if the game is good and you have made lots of money off it you can flop to 3D, making Havok better taken advantage of. Doing different things on your games makes it unique and more fun.

I hope I made some sense.
If you notice I put "....", in my sentences way too much... I'm sorry.

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:04:10 am »

Ah, but it usually makes games a lot more popular, just look at Skyrim/Fallout 3 and Half life 2.
You wouldn't be able to enjoy those games the same way without it... Glitched physics engines are more fun than the average run of the mill engine. And to say you cant use a 3D physics engine on a 2D game is kinda dumb as well... just don't use the Z axis... better yet... use it to your advantage(Think Little big planet and how they switch layers). If I had the money and time I would totally use Havok over Box2D just for my 2D platformer, because I can. Also if the game is good and you have made lots of money off it you can flop to 3D, making Havok better taken advantage of. Doing different things on your games makes it unique and more fun.

I hope I made some sense.
Uh, no, not at all. 99% of the people who play those games have no idea what Havok is, nor do they care. I can also assure you that they don't play those games for the physics, I assure you I don't. If they did, they would be playing GMod or Angry Birds or something along those lines instead.
I use the latest build of SFML2

Cornstalks

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:09:25 am »
Aaaactually, Havok is pretty solid and free to use if you don't sell your game for more than $10 per copy. It might be overkill for a 2D game, but it might not. After all, World of Goo used ODE and it's a 2D game, so it's at least worth considering.

Atomical

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:44:30 am »
Box2D is the way to go

foobarbaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:30 am »
Box2D seems to be the most popular choice.

Box2D is the way to go

Box2D! It's great. Jump on the bandwagon.