Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Slip Space v0.5 Beta  (Read 1984 times)

PyroOfZen

• View Profile
Slip Space v0.5 Beta
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:48:59 pm »
Slip Space is an arcade-based volley through a dangerous asteroid field. Seems pretty exciting, doesn't it?

It's not that simple, so let me break it down for you. You're the pilot of a versatile space ship with basic weaponry and force field technology, but no ammo or charges for said weaponry or force fields. The mechanics, themselves, are simple, in the fact that you simply have to steer the space ship left and right out of the path of the oncoming asteroids. Power ups will appear along the way, which you may steer into or ignore.

There's no preview video yet, so let me show you a screenshot to ease your curiosity:

One power up--missiles--will refill your ammo count and allow you to fire at will until they are empty again. Missiles will destroy any asteroids on contact. One missile can only destroy one asteroid before being all used up. Another power up--piercing missiles--will turn all of the missiles you fire into piercing missiles for five seconds after the activation of the power up. Piercing missiles, unlike regular missiles, will continue to destroy any asteroids they collide with and not stop until they are out of sight. The third power up--force fields--will recharge your force fields by a little bit. While your force fields are up, you are invincible, but the force fields themselves, aren't. They lose 1% of their charge for every hit you take. You will be warned when they are one hit away from malfunctioning.

Everything is based on the distance you travel. The speed at which the asteroids and power ups travel as well as the speed your ship can steer will increase depending on how far into the field you have travelled. There's no going back, I'll tell you that much.

When your shields are down and you hit an asteroid, it's game over. Your final score is based on distance travelled + 100 for each asteroid destroyed by a missile + 50 for each asteroid destroyed by your shields. If you manage to beat a previous high score, you get to put your name and score on the high scores list for your siblings/parents/kids to beat.

Downloads:
Main - http://adf.ly/NGQVO
Direct - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fx0610zr6wn7t74/Slip%20Space%20v0.5.rar?token_hash=AAEFGf8ApWpF82hJuNLOwB_qAbfBn-PO5lGXgecs5IfcdA&dl=1

Controls:
Left and Right arrows - Steer
Space - Fire missiles
P - Pause game (pause button on HUD can also be clicked on)
S - Toggle sound (sound button on HUD can also be clicked on)

Features:
- Fully animated ship sprite, including steering, destruction and force field animations
- Fully functioning high score system which saves the names and scores of those who beat previous high scores for the next time you play
- Fully debugged hitbox detection. No steering off the sides of the screen or phasing through asteroids or other
- Detailed HUD, including score, missile count, force field charges and sound toggle and pause buttons
- Scrolling background, to make you think you actually are moving, when in reality...you're not
- Sound effects for every detail and aspect of the game (all sound effects were made with my voice and my voice alone)
- Power ups that help you as you go along
- Fully randomized asteroid and power up placement throughout the game. No two games will have the same layout

What's to come:
- Main music track which will play throughout the game (as well as a separate button to toggle music on and off without affecting sound effects or vocal dialogue)
- A title screen with options to begin the game, view high scores, quit the game, etc
- A better-looking game over screen
- More vocal dialogue depicting milestone events (which will activate depending on how far you've travelled)
- More HUD details
- Better asteroid graphics (possibly more than one asteroid graphic to make things look a little more randomized)
- An animation which will play whenever an asteroid is destroyed
- An achievement/unlocks system (already working, but is unimplemented, due to unfinished resources and...ideas)
- More power ups

EDIT: Being the little derp I am, I forgot to add the controls in this post. I fixed that, though.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:32:58 pm by PyroOfZen »