Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2 and its new website released  (Read 36255 times)

pdinklag

• JSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • JSFML Website
Re: SFML 2 and its new website released
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 03:32:25 am »
Congrats! :)
JSFML - The Java binding to SFML.

Tuffywub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 03:40:05 am »
Awesome! Good job!!!  ;D
IOS + Android??? SSSSWWWWEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt!!!  :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:33 am »
I'm sure there is a huge bunch of people eager to assist you in making SFML work on Android (and other platforms)!
If so, they can already start working on it ;)
I already got contributions, even partial ports for iOS in the past, and those definitely help me today. But I never got anything for Android :P

I already started porting SFML to Android (and Raspberry Pi btw) and I'm having the entire framework working except the network module which hasn't yet been ported. https://github.com/Sonkun/esfml (branch Android)
Awesome! I'll have a look at your work.

As for SFML 2.2, I think you should focus on adding support for OpenGL ES 1.1 first, as it doesn't take much effort (OpenGL ES 1.1 being close to OpenGL 2.x).
This is exactly what I'm doing. As long as OpenGL ES 2.0 is not required, I won't break the rendering API.

A iOS port needs OpenGL ES 1.x supported and won't be possible without redesigning the entire window module. In my humble opinion, you should keep this huge API break for SFML3.0 and concentrate on adding interesting features such a video module, signal&slot to the system module, etc. and all this stuff  without breaking the API.
The iOS port will be ported to the current API. I may add some features, but I won't redesign anything. If I design a specific API that better suits mobile devices, that won't happen before SFML 3.

So, to summarize: iOS + current API + OpenGL ES 1.1 = quickly done.

BTW: I am using .net binding but you have mistake on website in .net 32bit binding link - sfml-dev.org/download/sfml.net/SFML.Net-2.0-32bits.zip
Fixed, thank you.

I'm kinda missing a feature list. If you send a new user to the website and ask him to answer the question "What is SFML?" he won't be able to properly answer it, since he can't get any information on what SFML really is.
I hope that people will know what SFML is before visiting the website. And the homepage says that SFML is a C++ library that deals with graphics, audio, network and windowing. I think it's enough to get the feeling of what SFML does. Details are in the documentation and tutorials.

You also might want to update the release thread, but I guess you haven't forgotten that and you're still compiling the huge, huge change log.
Done. No changelog this time, I gave up a long time ago. There's one for SFML 2.0 RC, but it's incomplete and inconsistent (since the naming conventions have changed).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:36 am »
Yeay ! Long Life To SFML !  ;D
SFML / OS X developer

Atomical

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:28 am »
I don't know how much this is relevant but freeglut 3.0 has Android support with OpenGL ES 2.0 http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/docs/android.php

The new design is so cleeaaan

Sonkun

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 11:10:45 am »
I already started porting SFML to Android (and Raspberry Pi btw) and I'm having the entire framework working except the network module which hasn't yet been ported. https://github.com/Sonkun/esfml (branch Android)
Awesome! I'll have a look at your work.

As for SFML 2.2, I think you should focus on adding support for OpenGL ES 1.1 first, as it doesn't take much effort (OpenGL ES 1.1 being close to OpenGL 2.x).
This is exactly what I'm doing. As long as OpenGL ES 2.0 is not required, I won't break the rendering API.

A iOS port needs OpenGL ES 1.x supported and won't be possible without redesigning the entire window module. In my humble opinion, you should keep this huge API break for SFML3.0 and concentrate on adding interesting features such a video module, signal&slot to the system module, etc. and all this stuff  without breaking the API.
The iOS port will be ported to the current API. I may add some features, but I won't redesign anything. If I design a specific API that better suits mobile devices, that won't happen before SFML 3.

So, to summarize: iOS + current API + OpenGL ES 1.1 = quickly done.

The plan wasn't to introduce the project like this but never mind :p

You'll find on the master branch OpenGL ES 1.1 supported (including the context creation and the EGL error macro),  as well as some minor improvements regarding CMake and OpenGL/OpenAL macros.

Then, the Android branch takes over to bring Android support :) It provides a sfml-main module to have a portable int main() and which forward lifecycle callbacks. I rewrote the native glue code provided by the NDK to remove useless stuff and to make use of the system module (threads + string).

Not to break the API, it uses some tricks:
  • sf::Event::Resized event means the screen orientation has changed
  • It sends sf::MouseMove events when detecting finger motion events
  • sf::Event::Closed event means the app wants to terminate
  • It sends MouseLeft/MouseEntered when the activity is paused/resumed
  • It sends LostFocus/GainedFocus when the activity is stopped/restarted

I need to rebase on the last SFML2 commit and give instructions to compile. From what I remember, that's something like
NDK=/$HOME/Workspace/android/ndk cmake -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../cmake/Toolchains/Android.cmake ..

To get a bit of context, you may want to read the wiki (which actually introduces the project :p).
Interested in using SFML with Python ? Try out its Python binding!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:40 am »
I don't know how much this is relevant but freeglut 3.0 has Android support with OpenGL ES 2.0
And? They don't have a high-level graphics API on top of that, so it's not a problem for them, supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 is just a few lines to change in the context creation code.

You'll find on the master branch OpenGL ES 1.1 supported (including the context creation and the EGL error macro),  as well as some minor improvements regarding CMake and OpenGL/OpenAL macros.
Is Android 100% compliant with the generic EGL API? Because iOS is not (they have their own Objective-C layer on top of it, EAGL... >:()

Then, the Android branch takes over to bring Android support  It provides a sfml-main module to have a portable int main() and which forward lifecycle callbacks.
I've had a look at your code this morning, and saw that.

Not to break the API, it uses some tricks:
sf::Event::Resized event means the screen orientation has changed
It sends sf::MouseMove events when detecting finger motion events
sf::Event::Closed event means the app wants to terminate
It sends MouseLeft/MouseEntered when the activity is paused/resumed
It sends LostFocus/GainedFocus when the activity is stopped/restarted
Looks like what I wanted to do for iOS ;)
One more thing: map the accelerometer to joystick #0.
And what's the difference between "activity paused", "activity stopped" and "app terminated"?

Sonkun

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:37 am »
Is Android 100% compliant with the generic EGL API? Because iOS is not (they have their own Objective-C layer on top of it, EAGL... >:()
100% compliant, you chose the dark side :p

Looks like what I wanted to do for iOS
One more thing: map the accelerometer to joystick #0.
And what's the difference between "activity paused", "activity stopped" and "app terminated"?
Great idea for the accelerometer! I'll do it.

An activity is the Android term to mean an application responding to lifecycle events.
An activity gets paused when something is brought to front and so, hides partially the activity screen (the activity no longer receives input events).
An activity is stopped when the user leaves the application (by pressing the home button or because you're having a call, etc.). In those cases, the main thread still runs but should do nothing (the window and its attached context is disabled).
An activity is terminated when the main finishes or because the OS has asked for that (mainly for memory reasons).

How does that work on your side ?
Interested in using SFML with Python ? Try out its Python binding!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:55 pm »
How does that work on your side ?
They have a bunch of detailed notifications. I haven't investigated much, for now I just map the EnterBackground/EnterForeground notifications to the LostFocus/GainedFocus events. They seem to match your description of the "activity stopped" notification, so I think we are good.

Foaly

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »
Wow this is awesome! Great to see 2.0 finally released! Congratulations to everybody who contributed!

Some news for the near future:
- SFML 2.1 will be released as quickly as possible and be a bug fix release
- SFML 2.2 should add support for iOS, I'm already working on it
That is great news too. Can't wait for 2.2

The release made it in a big German technologie news site: heise.de
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:05:02 pm by Laurent »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:49 pm »
Nice! I wonder though if I had anything to do with it, since I sent out a mail to them yesterday, but only got an "Out of Office" reply. ;D
(Still waiting for a response from Golem.de)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:10:21 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »
Don't forget to contact the package maintainers for the major distros.

Here are some package pages I found:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libsfml-dev
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/libsfml-dev
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/SFML

Gentoo and Arch are already using 2.0.

Which reminds me... someone has to update the GitHub wiki FAQ :P.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »
Which reminds me... someone has to update the GitHub wiki FAQ :P.
*points at binary1248* :P

Btw. Laurent, as I've mentioned once via PM, I think it would now soon be a good time to make the General Rules topic sticky in all the help forums and also be nice to have a sticky thread pointing to the FAQ in all the help forums, so people will actually start using it more often. binary1248 has already made quite an effort to get some good answers in. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 05:40:40 pm »
That's awesome. For non-German-speaking people: It's one of the largest (if not THE largest) IT-related websites in Germany.

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 06:21:53 pm »
Wow =)

The website is very attractive, simple and with good colors.
Congrat's for SFML2 release, it's been waited :p

Edit : Special congrat's for the documentation design(I mean CSS design). One of the clearest I've ever seen
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:30:04 pm by Lo-X »

anything