Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Network Defense [UPDATED - Screen Shots + Demo]  (Read 7173 times)

Wavesonics

• ICQ Messenger - 39886687
    • MSN Messenger - wavesonics@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jebradic
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Jebradic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.darkrockstudios.com/
Network Defense [UPDATED - Screen Shots + Demo]
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »
[UPDATE - 19 AUG 2009]
Everything is really ready to go, but sadly, I have become very busy and had no time to work on the individual maps and make them fun to play.

So I'm just releasing the technically complete version of the game, that is lacking game play balancing and a bit of content.

Download link toward the bottom.

Title Screen

Host Menu

Game Play 1

Game Play 2

I have a developer-preview here if you want to try it:

Win32: http://darkrockstudios.com/files/NetworkDefense.zip

Linux64: (I have this building and running 100%, I just need to figure out how to package with it's dependencies)
Linux32: (dito)

Project page here: http://darkrockstudios.com/public/project/networkdefense

Features:
    - Networked "Tower Defense" style game-play for any number of players (good amount of attention paid to keeping the traffic low)

- Good separation between client and server code so that a dedicated server can be run completely on it's own or as a separate thread inside a client

- Everything is data driven (XML) allowing for users to make all their own content

- Turrets are script driven allowing for users to make any kind of turret they want

- Maps can define their own music to play during the game

- Maps can use creeps and turrets from a common pool of well balanced creeps and turrets, or they can make their own completely new creeps and turrets (the "common pool" is really the last area that needs work)

- The game client it's self is configurable via a config.xml file

- All the Tower Defense features you would expect: Build turrets, sell turrets, upgrade turrets, interest on player money compounded at the end of every round.

- Everything is documented in tutorial style to help anyone who wants to make all new content

- Fully cross platform, already compiles and runs on Win32, Linux32, Linux64. There is not reason it couldn't run on Mac and Win64.

- Turret scripting is protected by a "safety system" which makes scripts easier and more error proof to write without any extra effort on the scriptwriters part.

- Turret script classes can easily declare which member variables should be replicated across the network, and thats it, the application takes care of the rest of keeping them synchronized across the network

- Console provides chat functionality as well as severla commands such as /sendmoney (transfer $ between players) and /publicip (grabs your public IP address even from behind a router so u can tell people who are trying to connect) and others...

=======================
[edited old post]

So, I began this project for 2 reasons.

1) There was no networked multi-player Tower Defense out there that I could find.

2) I wanted to work out some ideas I had for a smaller simpler engine than what I was working on at work.

For those reasons, the game was kept intentionally simple.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Tank's Blog
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:31 pm »
I would overwhelm you with words of encouragement, but I'm on a 64 Bit Linux operating system. ;) Would be nice if you could either provide a proper binary or source code.

Everything else you described sounds very good. How did you implement the XML part? Have you written your own parser, or used one?
SFGUI: Simple and Fast GUI library for SFML
Game Development Design articles
IRC: #sfml @ irc.boxbox.org

csiz

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - calinutzu92
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:38:59 pm »
Very nice idea, I think you should put an option for the players to share or not share their money and make 2 money accounts and a bar between them(witch will indicate how much money will go in the shared account). Oh and to build a tower one first takes from his account than from the shared account.

Just got another idea:
make it a 2 side thing, and with your money you could make towers, monsters and roads. The towers earn money when they kill a monster, the monster earns money every second they stay in the other team territory, and the roads well they act like roads. If theres an itersection the monsters will split 1 goes right 1 left 1 right 1 left... or 1 right 1 forward 1 left...
My new webpage calinmocanu

Wavesonics

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:58:32 pm »
Tank, it's all written to be cross platform, and in fact I tried to compile a 64bit Linux binary, but was stopped up wit no SFML Linux 64 binaries, and I didn't want to spend the time to compile it my self.

I will get back to it at some point because I definitely want a Linux version of the dedicated server for my self :)

csiz, I used TinyXML++ for the XML parsing which is a Object Oriented C++ wrapper around the awesome C style TinyXML lib.

I've used a variety of XML libs before, and TinyXML++ is by far the easiest and most elegent to use, I highly recommend it :)

As for the money ideas, I like them, they remind me of how TA Spring handles resources. I still need to work a bit on scripting for the turrets, and make a few real maps. But it is a good idea, I like it.

csiz

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - calinutzu92
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:12:25 pm »
thanks for that info, I also want to try a network game... I'll be posting it on the forum when I build something that works or even when I just build something, for now its just an idea.
My new webpage calinmocanu

Wavesonics

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:22:36 pm »
[UPDATE - 24 JUL 2009]

Wavesonics

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 05:16:13 pm »
[UPDATE - 19 AUG 2009]

christoph

• View Profile
    • http://www.christoph-egger.org
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:52:41 pm »
You're actively working on it? Do you plan to make it Free Software? The screenshots really look good (but no way to test it on linux yet?)

drew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »
Looks sweet. Any chance of you making this open source?

Wavesonics

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:08 am »
Yes I plan on fully open sourcing it, just haven't taken the time to do it properly yet.

Once again, the Linux build works 100%, I just need to package it up with it's dependencies.

I should change the status to not say "Actively Developing". I just got a new job, so time will be scant now :/

I'll try to get together a Linux build though for you to try christoph, so check back in the next few days maybe :)

anything