Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Muffin World  (Read 5494 times)

MrMuffins

• View Profile
Muffin World
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:24 pm »
Well since 2.0 has been 'officially' released, I might as well show off my old project I've been working on for 2 years now.
Its 1.6 so don't hate ;)

Muffin World Yea not original nor does it really have anything to do with muffins.
It's a 2D sidescroller, with ground and spikes and monsters and such. Or so I hope in the future of this.

So far there's only one level, but it has multiple parts and took quite some time to make. Mainly because I'm a single dude working on both the code and the graphics.
And this project only keeps getting bigger (I think its like 10,000 lines or so)

Some screenshots (Click the thumbnail to enlarge):

Fun little fact: This is my first game...because, well when your new you just want to jump into game programming and make games, despite nearly all the tutorials saying

"Don't rush, start out slow with a pong clone or something".
Meanwhile, after many trys and fails, different versions of Muffin World, and using SDL, I've switched to SFML and still continue my struggle on creating this large complex game with little experience :D

DL Link (30MB):

To be frank I've lost quite a bit of interest in this, mainly from lack of direction and the fact that each levels needs graphics and I'm a terrible graphics person :/
Oh and I find SFML far easier to work with then SDL.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Muffin World
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »
Looks good! I don't find your graphics terrible at all, especially the sky and clouds look very good in my opinion :)

I think the important part is to have a consistent, and to some extent unique graphics style. The shading you use for the trees, hills and house walls could for example also be applied to the bookshelve. And I think the contours (trees and hills) don't really fit to your style, without them it might look much smoother!

Jump'n'runs are really a difficult genre to develop, when playing one does not think of many points. I have developed Zloxx II for quite a long time, too -- it was even the second attempt, because I wanted to add many features to the first one, but its code was so ugly that only a complete restart was reasonable ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:19 pm »
It's so beautiful, everything is candy-ish and happy colors. Did you make physics yourself too?
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

MrMuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:01:53 am »
Thanks for the replies

I think the important part is to have a consistent, and to some extent unique graphics style. The shading you use for the trees, hills and house walls could for example also be applied to the bookshelve. And I think the contours (trees and hills) don't really fit to your style, without them it might look much smoother!

I agree, I think that's part of the reason why I don't like these graphics as much. I've must've went through 4 graphical overhauls over the course of making this. I'm thinking one last time set on a style (and no contours, they don't blend too well with other stuff) So I'm definitely taking your advice into consideration. Thanks :)

It's so beautiful, everything is candy-ish and happy colors. Did you make physics yourself too?

Yes, I find it kinda fun to try and figure out how to do this or that. That awesome feeling when your char can finally jump up and land on solid blocks. Although its no where perfect, I'm sure at the wrong angle you might somehow fall through a tile or something. And there's always that 'fast moving objects bypassing tiles' or any sort of lag (since I'm using time, and if your falling, any sudden mishap will cause you to miss the ground tile). Tried to fix it or limit it to the best of the knowledge though :/

Janneman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:56:10 pm »
Nice work man! Looks really good.
One point of advice: speed up the menu parts a bit; make the fading effects faster. For example when you hit Options in the main menu, it takes 3 seconds or so before you can interact with the buttons.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:20 pm »
It looks awesome, I found your effort to make everything polished with smooth transitions and so on particularly good! That really makes a game better! :D