Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dwell - A Retro Sandbox Survival MMO  (Read 71484 times)

Regeta

• View Profile
Re: Dwell - A Retro Sandbox Survival MMO
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 04:27:34 pm »
This looks like one of the best / coolest / most fun games on this whole forum.

I rarely get excited for games, but this looks really cool.
Even rarer, I usually dislike this style of art, but yours looks amazing and makes me want to play.

GREAT JOB!

When does it release? :P

Regeta

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 04:27:55 pm »
Great title too btw, "Dwell" is a perfect name for it.

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »
We have a new website!
The URL is the same (http://playdwell.com) but we completely redesigned it. We're now entering our second alpha phase which means that we're going to start posting more updates and increasing our transparency into the development processes.

I also just got a new Twitter account.

Here are some bonus gifs from my blog!

This looks like one of the best / coolest / most fun games on this whole forum.
Aww thanks :3

I rarely get excited for games, but this looks really cool.
Even rarer, I usually dislike this style of art, but yours looks amazing and makes me want to play.
I'll tell my artist that! We have 2 really talented people on our team who are experienced within the RPG modding community. Jackard was a huge part of the King Arthur's Gold graphical modding community and Pirate has worked on a lot of minor, yet successful indie RPG projects.

When does it release? :P
We have no idea. We have like... 16 more cards on Trello to complete before we can focus on just adding the raw content. I'm working on some more of the technical stuff at the moment while the artists are trying to get the placeholders replaced with the new stuff. Content will be extremely easy to add once we get to that point.

Great title too btw, "Dwell" is a perfect name for it.
Thank god. We've changed the name 4 times because there were always issues (SEO, trademarks, etc), but Dwell is the only thing that fits.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:48:45 pm by eXpl0it3r »

AndreeU17

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:52 am »
dang that illustration is amazing! Love the quality and great work guys, please let me know when its finish! Allow us SFML individuals to get an early Beta Access!

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2014, 06:49:20 am »
dang that illustration is amazing! Love the quality and great work guys, please let me know when its finish! Allow us SFML individuals to get an early Beta Access!
Thanks! A few SFML people already got into my Alpha testing, but we'll see about Beta!

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 06:28:25 am »
Added a text outline shader

Added sign posts

Robin

• I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
    • Crystalshire
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:40 pm »
Replace the buttons on your forum skin.

What kind of netcode are you running?

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 08:03:26 am »
Replace the buttons on your forum skin.
I'm not a graphical sorta guy and my artist refuses to make graphics sooo  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll try to find a designer eventually. There's only so much I can do in Paint.NET

What kind of netcode are you running?
enet
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:06:17 am by Jungletoe »

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 09:39:13 am »
Random Update
We added click-to-move movement instead of the laggy WASD input that didn't exactly work. Additionally, I just completed the personal claims' mechanics. You'll be able to claim a 15x15 area of space (without expansions) for your own. You can edit permissions so you can let your friends enter your house, but not your foes.

Oh yeah, and we have an official office now (in collaboration with the Game CoLab in Phoenix, AZ) and we're getting an LLC set up. I just gave up basically everything in my life to finish this game, so be prepared to see a shitton of updates coming your way soon.

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2014, 10:49:27 am »
Did you drop out of college?
Good luck. ;)

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 06:32:11 pm »
Holy crap, that's (relatively) close to me, I didn't know that place existed! That's awesome!

Looking good. :)

Robin

• I have no idea what I'm doing
    • View Profile
    • Crystalshire
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »
I just gave up basically everything in my life to finish this game, so be prepared to see a shitton of updates coming your way soon.

Be very careful with that. The same problems with Haven and Hearth will affect this project without some clever engineering.

As soon as you turn something like this in to a full time job you can't really overlook things you could as a hobby project. Your netcode especially will have to be on point.

Good luck.

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2014, 06:29:27 am »
Did you drop out of college?
Good luck. ;)
No, quit the swim team and scholarship. I also essentially gave up my social life. College is still necessary for me to make connections, so that's staying where it is.

Holy crap, that's (relatively) close to me, I didn't know that place existed! That's awesome!
Looking good. :)
Phoenix has a really vibrant gamedev community! Come to the IGDA meetings!

Be very careful with that. The same problems with Haven and Hearth will affect this project without some clever engineering.
Yeah, I actually took on a guy for IT. He manages all of the technical details and makes sure it works out.

As soon as you turn something like this in to a full time job you can't really overlook things you could as a hobby project. Your netcode especially will have to be on point.
Good luck.
I'm putting 60+ hours a week into this thing, so it basically is a full time job at this point. I'm constantly revising old systems and flushing out all the old code I started with, so it will hopefully work out.

Thanks.

EDIT:
I would like to mention that I quit everything because I LOVE what I'm doing with this game. It makes me excited about waking up every morning. Often times I don't eat for hours on end or don't sleep for days because I'm thinking about it. Even if the project flopped, I'd be happy. That's the important part.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:13:50 pm by Jungletoe »

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 10:30:57 am »

Syntactic Fructose

• Overflowing stacks and eating snacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:18 pm »
Voted, very awesome and seems well designed! Curious however, what price would you be aiming for if the game gets greenlighted?

anything