Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Update of the "official" SFML description  (Read 4044 times)

Sonkun

• View Profile
Update of the "official" SFML description
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »
I'm packaging SFML, wanna update its "official" description ?

The current one in Debian repositories is:

"SFML is an modern multimedia library offering a wide range of subsystems useful to produce an multimedia app. It offers OpenGL integration for Hardware accelerated Graphics, Windowing and Input support, Audio and Network facilities and supports GNU/Linux MS Windows and Mac OS X."
Interested in using SFML with Python ? Try out its Python binding!

Sonkun

• View Profile
Re: Update of the "official" SFML description
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »
Even if the Thor library hasn't yet an official stable release, it can be done for it too. :) I need official descriptions for sfeMovie, TGUI, SFGUI and all other library based on SFML 2.0 worth being packaged lol.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:47:36 pm »
If you want an "official" description of SFGUI, jump on IRC #sfgui and spam Tank with messages until he gives in. If you ask me, I wouldn't have anything against "A modest attempt at providing some form of GUI capability on top of SFML." but that's just me ;D. I don't know about providing an official SFGUI debian package, considering how "incomplete" SFGUI currently is. I never bothered reading their policies/guidelines but I can imagine stuff like this belongs in the experimental branch until it is truly polished. Then again... telling people to just "apt-get install libsfgui-dev" is kind of appealing...
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:28:02 pm »
I'm not very familiar with packages, but I don't know if it's worth packaging Thor package at its current state. A lot of things are expected to change, people shouldn't feel encouraged to use an unstable version or consider it an official release, they currently do better if they follow the Git version until the library becomes more stable.

Or what do you think? What would its version number be anyway?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:29:45 pm by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »
The description is still ok.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Sonkun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:26:39 pm »
If you want an "official" description of SFGUI, jump on IRC #sfgui and spam Tank with messages until he gives in. If you ask me, I wouldn't have anything against "A modest attempt at providing some form of GUI capability on top of SFML." but that's just me ;D. I don't know about providing an official SFGUI debian package, considering how "incomplete" SFGUI currently is. I never bothered reading their policies/guidelines but I can imagine stuff like this belongs in the experimental branch until it is truly polished. Then again... telling people to just "apt-get install libsfgui-dev" is kind of appealing...

Okay, I'll do that :) By the way, the current one is: "SFGUI (Simple and Fast Graphical User Interface) is a fast, simple and native C++ GUI library for SFML 2.0. It provides a rich set of widgets and is highly customizable in its looks. The library has been designed with flexibility and extensibility in mind and provides a modern and clean C++ API."

As for "how incomplete SFGUI currently is, no problem", the stable version (1.0) is in the sfml-stable repo while the next version (2.0) is in sfml-development. People are aware when adding my repo that sfml-development contains unstable versions of works based on SFML.

I'm not very familiar with packages, but I don't know if it's worth packaging Thor package at its current state. A lot of things are expected to change, people shouldn't feel encouraged to use an unstable version or consider it an official release, they currently do better if they follow the Git version until the library becomes more stable.
I do understand that (and you already told me btw :p). I agree with you but I meant we could already think of a description so we don't have to do it later, when Thor 2.0 is officially released. Unfortunately, Thor was already packaged before you told me that. However, while I was bringing Thor to Python, I found the snapshot I used quite stable (actually I had no issues at all). Anyways, it's there and might help people discover it, I'm sure they'll appreciate, even if that's not the final API. (The purpose of packaging it was to provide python-thor package too).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:25 pm »
Unfortunately, Thor was already packaged before you told me that.
In other words: It was packaged without asking me :P

But now I am confused a bit, could you give me an overview about the current state and what you intend to change? Is Thor currently packaged (if so, how is the package called and where can I find it?)

However, while I was bringing Thor to Python, I found the snapshot I used quite stable (actually I had no issues at all).
I mainly meant API stability. What I want to avoid is that Linux people begin to use the package instead of a more up-to-date Git revision, and as a result, people stick to outdated versions and eventually, a lot of unnecessary code porting is required. Unnecessary because they could have used a more recent Git version in the first place. This is a smaller problem once Thor 2 is released, as I intend to avoid bigger API changes from then.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: