Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Offline documentation for Dash and Zeal  (Read 6690 times)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Offline documentation for Dash and Zeal
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:56:48 pm »
Hi !

Mac OS X users might already know Dash, a very nice application to browse a lot of documentations offline. Zeal is inspired by Dash and can run on Linux and Windows.

Today I'm happy to annonce that SFML documentation is now available for both doc browsers!  :)

Dash

If you already have Dash installed on your machine, simply add SFML docset by opening this link:
dash-feed://http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfml-dev.org%2Fdownload%2Fdash%2F2.0%2FSFML.xml

If you would like to see SFML part of the official docset list, please request it to here.

Zeal

Zeal doesn't support doc feed like Dash does. So you have to download this archive and extract it to $HOME/.local/share/zeal/docsets/ or C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\zeal\docsets\.

Now you have no more excuse not to read the documentation!  ;D
SFML / OS X developer

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Re: Offline documentation for Dash and Zeal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:32 pm »
Sounds interesting, I do not knows these programs but it should be better than the HTML doc I've got in local.
Will the archive be updated automatically with new versions of SFML or corrections ?

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 08:09:24 pm »
With Dash, yes, it will automatically updated.

I don't know if Zeal has such feature though. But a manual update won't be hard anyway.
SFML / OS X developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:38:55 pm »
I've put the doc under a "2.0" folder, assuming that each version would have its own documentation. If the same link is meant to be used for all versions, should I remove that "2.0" from the path?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:33:09 pm »
No, it's good like that I think because the xml file cannot contain multiple versions. So we can use it to do minor updates (e.g., typos) but when 2.x is released we would need (or at least it would be cool) to let the user choose if he wants to upgrade his doc or not.

We could then add a general xml for SFML version "2" (not "2.0" or "2.3" for example) that is always the last version of SFML 2.x.
SFML / OS X developer

anything