Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Reinstalling SFML2.0 won't work using VS2011  (Read 1542 times)

mantracker

• View Profile
Reinstalling SFML2.0 won't work using VS2011
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:55:19 am »
I am sure there are millions of threads on this already, and I must have read like 90% of them and tried all sorts of different solutions, but none of them works for me.

So basicly, I followed the official tutorial here: http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.0/start-vc.php EXACTLY! To illustrate, I will again, repeat what I have done:

1. When creating a project, I chose "Win32 project"
2. In project properties, I chose "All configurations"->"C/C++"->"General"->"Additional include directories" and added SFML-2.0\include
3. In "Linker"->"General" of "All configurations", I added SFML-2.0\lib
4. In "Release"->"Linker"->"Input", I added "sfml-graphics.lib;sfml-window.lib;sfml-system.lib;", in that order and EXACTLY as what was written on the official tutorial
5. In "Debug"-> "C/C++" -> "Preprocessor", I added SFML_STATIC; as shown on tutorial
6. Then, I clicked apply and ok and wrote the code from the tutorial, this is the error I got:

1>------ Build started: Project: MyGames, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall sf::String::String(char const *,class std::locale const &)" (??0String@sf@@QAE@PBDABVlocale@std@@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall sf::VideoMode::VideoMode(unsigned int,unsigned int,unsigned int)" (??0VideoMode@sf@@QAE@III@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sf::Window::close(void)" (?close@Window@sf@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall sf::Window::isOpen(void)const " (?isOpen@Window@sf@@QBE_NXZ) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall sf::Window::pollEvent(class sf::Event &)" (?pollEvent@Window@sf@@QAE_NAAVEvent@2@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sf::Window::display(void)" (?display@Window@sf@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall sf::Color::Color(unsigned char,unsigned char,unsigned char,unsigned char)" (??0Color@sf@@QAE@EEEE@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sf::RenderTarget::clear(class sf::Color const &)" (?clear@RenderTarget@sf@@QAEXABVColor@2@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sf::RenderTarget::draw(class sf::Drawable const &,class sf::RenderStates const &)" (?draw@RenderTarget@sf@@QAEXABVDrawable@2@ABVRenderStates@2@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall sf::RenderWindow::RenderWindow(class sf::VideoMode,class sf::String const &,unsigned int,struct sf::ContextSettings const &)" (??0RenderWindow@sf@@QAE@VVideoMode@1@ABVString@1@IABUContextSettings@1@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual __thiscall sf::RenderWindow::~RenderWindow(void)" (??1RenderWindow@sf@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual __thiscall sf::Shape::~Shape(void)" (??1Shape@sf@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual __thiscall sf::CircleShape::~CircleShape(void)" (??1CircleShape@sf@@UAE@XZ)
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sf::Shape::setFillColor(class sf::Color const &)" (?setFillColor@Shape@sf@@QAEXABVColor@2@@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall sf::CircleShape::CircleShape(float,unsigned int)" (??0CircleShape@sf@@QAE@MI@Z) referenced in function _main
1>Source.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class sf::Color const sf::Color::Green" (?Green@Color@sf@@2V12@B)
1>Source.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class sf::RenderStates const sf::RenderStates::Default" (?Default@RenderStates@sf@@2V12@B)
1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>c:\users\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\MyGames\Debug\MyGames.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 17 unresolved externals
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I have followed the exact 6 steps above as I wrote, nothing more nothing less. I don't understand dynamic and static parts of sfml whatsoever. I am at loss as to why it does not work for me.

As I have said already, I understand that this topic has been asked many times before and all the errors seem similar. However, after reading many threads I still can't seem to able to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance for any one that can give me a hint as to what is wrong

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Reinstalling SFML2.0 won't work using VS2011
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:02:29 am »
Well it's important to not only look at the images, but also to read what the images mean.

Quote from: Tutorial
If you want to get rid of these DLLs and have SFML directly integrated to your executable, you must link to the static version. Static SFML libraries have the "-s" suffix: "sfml-xxx-s-d.lib" for Debug, and "sfml-xxx-s.lib" for Release.
In this case, you'll also need to define the SFML_STATIC macro in the preprocessor options of your project.

If you want to link statically, you'll need to specify the libs with the -s suffix and define SFML_STATIC. If you want to link shared, you'll neeed to specify the libs with no -s suffix, but you're not allowed to define SFML_STATIC.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

mantracker

• View Profile
Re: Reinstalling SFML2.0 won't work using VS2011
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:41 pm »
Well it's important to not only look at the images, but also to read what the images mean.

Quote from: Tutorial
If you want to get rid of these DLLs and have SFML directly integrated to your executable, you must link to the static version. Static SFML libraries have the "-s" suffix: "sfml-xxx-s-d.lib" for Debug, and "sfml-xxx-s.lib" for Release.
In this case, you'll also need to define the SFML_STATIC macro in the preprocessor options of your project.

If you want to link statically, you'll need to specify the libs with the -s suffix and define SFML_STATIC. If you want to link shared, you'll neeed to specify the libs with no -s suffix, but you're not allowed to define SFML_STATIC.

Alright so, this is now an updated version of what I have done:

2. In project properties, I chose "All configurations"->"C/C++"->"General"->"Additional include directories" and added SFML-2.0\include
4. In "Release"->"Linker"->"Input", I added "sfml-graphics-s.lib;sfml-window-s.lib;sfml-system-s.lib;", in that order and EXACTLY as what was written on the official tutorial
5. In "Debug"-> "C/C++" -> "Preprocessor", I added SFML_STATIC; as shown on tutorial

I still got the exact same error, is there something else Im missing?

EDIT: So now I've also added the -s-d files in, this is what I've done:

4. In "Release"->"Linker"->"Input", I added "sfml-graphics-s.lib;sfml-window-s.lib;sfml-system-s.lib;", in that order and EXACTLY as what was written on the official tutorial
4. In "Debug"->"Linker"->"Input", I added "sfml-graphics-s-d.lib;sfml-window-s-d.lib;sfml-system-s-d.lib;", in that order and EXACTLY as what was written on the official tutorial

This is the new error I got:

1>------ Build started: Project: adfasdfasdf, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>C:\Users\Martin Liu\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\adfasdfasdf\Debug\adfasdfasdf.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

EDIT 2: nevermind, thanks for your help. I resolved that error and now everything works just fine
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:36:22 pm by mantracker »