Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How to make your IDE output verbose build information  (Read 18937 times)

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
How to make your IDE output verbose build information
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:24:26 am »
OK... since the staple kind of thread in this subforum seems to be build related and most of the time too many questions have to be asked and/or not enough information is provided, I decided to write this tutorial thread for beginners who don't yet know how to force their compiler to output more useful information that can help them and us to resolve the problem.

Why do I want verbose output?

The idea is that, by default, most IDEs tend not to output the full command line that invokes the compiler and linker. All settings that are configurable through the GUI are ultimately passed on the command line to the compiler/linker. This means that you get to see all settings on possibly a single screen and it is easier to provide information in a forum post if required to do so.

Code::Blocks - all versions, all operating systems

First, open up your compiler settings window.

Go to the "Other settings" tab and change the "Compiler logging:" entry to "Full command line".

Try to build your project and change to the "Build log" tab when it completes.

Copy the output and paste it in your post.

Microsoft Visual Studio - 2008, 2010 and 2012, Microsoft Windows

First, open up your project properties window.

Make sure you selected the configuration you are trying to build. Open up the C/C++ -> General pane and change the "Suppress Startup Banner" entry to "No (/nologo-)".

Open up the Linker -> General pane and change the "Suppress Startup Banner" entry to "No".

Try to build your project.

Copy the output and paste it in your post.

Reminder

It is helpful to paste your log in [code][/code] tags to enable people to handle it easier. Not only does it avoid linebreaks, it is also displayed in a monospace font which makes it easier to read if it spans multiple lines.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:29:55 am by binary1248 »
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).