Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 11141 times)

magneonx

• MSN Messenger - magnumneon04@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 02:54:27 pm »
I don't know things about web stuff and pretty concerned. I can pretty guarantee those post weren't just written and I think they are all bots, all of those post links to what seems to be like malicious sites.

Seems to be a lot of work. I hope the site is not compromised I really need to keep in touch with resources in this forum  :'(. I am doing a game for school and its pretty bad timing...

Is there any help that we or I can do?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »
Why would anyone do that. ???
For the same reason these spam posts exist in the first place.

If it were just a random generic bot crawling the web, why would it overcome the SFML-specific question? As an experiment, Laurent can change the question to another letter of SFML and see how long it takes until they adapt ;)

Seems to be a lot of work. I hope the site is not compromised I really need to keep in touch with resources in this forum  :'(. I am doing a game for school and its pretty bad timing...
Don't panic, it's mainly annoying at the moment.

If the spam attacks didn't stop, one could follow The Hatchet's advice and verify users before they can post, at least for a certain time...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:02:13 pm by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »
For the same reason these spam posts exist in the first place.
Still makes no sense. No one is going to click through that and it's not like forum is overflowing with spam, it's just a dozen posts a day and Laurent removes them promptly.

If the spam attacks didn't stop, one could follow The Hatchet's advice and verify users before they can post, at least for a certain time...
The (un)solution might be to give most active veteran regulars mod rights for some time. :P
I'm thinking myself ::), Nexus and Exploiter. But we would have to agree to just touch spam, no running the forum, splitting threads or the like so that Laurent doesn't have to police us instead of the bots.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »
Hmm, from my experience administrating the SFGUI forum, I can say that most of these "spam waves" originate from the same IP address block, mostly some block allocated for mobile devices. And obviously the ISPs to whom these blocks belong can't (or don't know how to) cope with so many of their clients becoming a part of botnets. I just suggest to Tank ranges to block and it stems the spam tide... if just for a while.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 07:29:47 pm »
FRex, I meant the bots were configured by humans to answer the SFML question correctly. (Or maybe it's simple enough to be figured out by trial and error of smart bots...)

binary1248, but then you also exclude legitimate users (even with low probability). It might be a last resort, but so far the situation is not unbearable to require such strict measures. Making the registration process harder would also be a possibility, but that again annoys honest people. On the other hand, registering is only something you do once.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:32:14 pm by Nexus »
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 08:22:02 pm »
If it were just a random generic bot crawling the web, why would it overcome the SFML-specific question? As an experiment, Laurent can change the question to another letter of SFML and see how long it takes until they adapt
It's already a new question (changed this morning) ;)

I also re-enabled the mod which previously caused some troubles with human users. I had never had any bot before I disabled it, not even a single one.

Let's wait a little bit, maybe today's spammers had registered just before I enabled the anti-spam mod (I forget to check before I deleted them).

Hmm, from my experience administrating the SFGUI forum, I can say that most of these "spam waves" originate from the same IP address block, mostly some block allocated for mobile
Indeed. But I don't want to block ranges of IP unless there's really no other solution.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 09:52:08 pm »
Your post is 9th on list of last posts, 6 posts before yours are spam.
I'd say it's not going well. :P

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »
Whenever you remove some posts it takes like 1min for the bots to get their new posts up again... ;D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:03 pm »
Probably would be a good idea to give at least one member (Nexus? exploiter? binary?) the power to delete these posts for you.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 10:54:54 pm »
All the new spams from this evening are from "users" registered two weeks ago. Who knows how many are waiting... :-\

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »
There are fu*king TONS in last registered sort:
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;desc;start=0
It seems everyone who has 0 posts and filled in both email and website(some miss website and seem genuine non posters) also have broken English signature with link and personal text that is garbage or ad too.
We are overrun like H.E.L.L. pages from 1 to 37 are mostly filled with THEM, not users.
Seriously - what happened?

Edit: after running some nix tools and bash over list of member I count 679 among last 900 registered as bots(a.k.a. 0 posts, set mail, set website, set personal text). Might contain non bots or false positives from my mistakes. :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:45:31 am by FRex »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:07 am »
:o

When I have some time to waste I'll try to start removing them...

Good news: no new spam tonight ;D

Lethn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 08:31:36 am »
I hate and despise spammers. if I had the skill I'd code a robot designed specifically to hunt down other robots and blow up their PC's but unfortunately I'm just a noob >_< :D happy to help, I know how annoying running a forum can be which is why I only have a chat room.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:19 am »
if I had the skill I'd code a robot designed specifically to hunt down other robots and blow up their PC's
It's not that easy, the PCs are often owned by harmless users. See botnet
SFML Game Development:

Lethn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 11:16:16 am »
yeah :( I know about botnets thanks to cryptocurrencies, people have been using them to steal coins off miners.