Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: (No Longer) Available  (Read 4937 times)

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
(No Longer) Available
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:51:26 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0
and here is the video in question, unblocked, after the shitstorm that TB started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTa_x3rbJE

Basically just watch and up vote the videos, the more noise the better. :P
I know this might be considered spam but this concerns everyone of us here.
If the current trend of shoot-first-DMCA continues, we might some day make a game, post a video of it on our channel and get banned because some company's automated process claims our game or assets belong to them, it's normal practice for bots to tag videos and not unheard of that companies troll with strikes and take down or monetize videos they do not own without any consequences to themselves.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Mercy404

Re: (No Longer) Available
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:19:24 pm »
I thought the issue here was that this company sent him a review copy, then used a DMCA takedown to remove his video when they saw that it wasn't positive?

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
That's the situation here.
But the youtube process about copyright and guidelines is so damn bad it's pretty much a scam at this point, companies can claim bogus copyright, on trailers or press release materials being posted or even claim the rights to things they don't own, sometimes it's just bots' 'mistakes' but there is shoot first policy so videos get monetized by another company or taken down anyway.

In any case, like, comment and view the video of TB on that particular case and hope this company gets milked to last dollar so that they will cease operations. What they did was also illegal under US of A law apparently too so.. yeah.. fuck them.

Valve is part guilty too (see TB original video, now restored after an 'apology'), letting someone be on greenlight and pass it when they are giving out games in bulk to get votes and supporting their own kickstarter and then not check quality so that we get game which is running slow on a titian and that has teleporting NPCs who die randomly on save loads and do not react to anything character does if he crouches.
This is like 3rd or 4th scam of that kind this year on Steam.
I'm not talking about 'bad' games like CoD that some people dislike a lot, these scams are objectively bad, like if they are Alpha and hog resources like Quad or Titan on 30fps while having PS3 level of gameplay and graphics.
It's literally always same pattern: valve-does-not-care-for-quality + preorders + hype from PR + using NDA and DMCA to stop criticism.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:00:07 pm by FRex »

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:34:53 pm »
wow.. didn't know that studio was getting so much hate by now.. that stephane guy must be a business ace to screw up so much so fast..

I just wonder, won't this kind of scandal boost their sales even more? We've seen before "hated" developers sell well, I recall the fez guy for example..

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:46:37 pm »
wow.. didn't know that studio was getting so much hate by now.. that stephane guy must be a business ace to screw up so much so fast..
Well, it's part of bigger problem, I've seen companies claim videos cus of soundtracks that belong to Public Domain, MacLeod(CC-BY for everyone) or have no sound at all(FUCK?!!?!?!??!!). Also seen bot identify 8 bit sounds in a retro game as some techno... Some companies claimed copyright of a beat video that is just x Hz for an hour for meditation or something...
So not only this pisses me off, this also concerns me, there is real possibility if in some unlikely scenario in which I'm game dev and this trend of shoot first continues, I might be banned for using content I made myself and some company then monetizes on my videos of my content.
I even got sent this by friend who is a bit more into games than me and it started along the lines of 'remember War Z and Aliens? imagine it but 10x worse xD *link*'.
But they deserve all hate they get and 100x more.

I just wonder, won't this kind of scandal boost their sales even more? We've seen before "hated" developers sell well, I recall the fez guy for example..
Fez was genuinely a good game and you could enjoy it a lot(I didn't even consider it, not my type) and never know about the dev + he didn't produce any fake reviews, take down vids or sell it for 20 euros or give it out in bulk to try slip through greenlight.
But the dev was a tool. Some people dislike how he portrayed himself in indie games movie and he made inflammatory posts about PC sucking and never getting Fez, then MS sucking when his game need patch which costs money to do, saying that they won't ever get his games again and so on... also replying 'choke on my dick bitch' to critics/trolls and then rage quitting after making some teasers about making the sequel ::) I suspect he realized it was too hard to make something better than Fez since Fez came out with bugs and it took 6 years to make.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:54:24 pm by FRex »

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:35:41 pm »
Mini update considering the 'soon companies will start taking people content and claiming it their own if this f*cked up USA model of law continues' part: Terry Cavanagh got hit with copyright claim on his video trailer of VVVVVV.
Kudos to USA, Google and DMCA for allowing all this.

Silvah

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 12:16:25 pm »
Kudos to USA, Google and DMCA for allowing all this.
Well it's not like Google could do anything even if they wanted to lest they annoy the government of the North Korea of America.

FRex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 01:28:17 pm »
Google is just as guilty, they made their system broken beyond belief and it's 100% their fault and they are not doing anything about it, meanwhile they are forcing their facebook clone and removing features. Really the whole anti piracy, copyright and patent systems are horribly broken and I wish best to crackers, pirate bay(there were cases where if it wasn't for it people couldn't play what they paid for because of DRM...), hackers who target big corps etc.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:40:47 pm by FRex »

anything