Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: CS Bachelor thesis - Some questions  (Read 3392 times)

Roger Martins

• View Profile
CS Bachelor thesis - Some questions
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:03:55 am »
Hello guys, I'm Roger and I'm finishing my CS degree and my project involves computer graphics, because of that I'm searching for a suitable library/engine to aid my needs.

I have some questions for the community and I hope you guys can help me.

What versions of OpenGl are supported?
What is the binary size of SFML in a built application (with only the modules that are used for windowing, graphics and input)?
How easy is to render with SFML into WPF?

One last favor, can you guys provide some references on what was SFML used in(commercial)? I'm searching but I really don't want to miss anything important.

Best Regards, Thank you.
Roger

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Re: CS Bachelor thesis - Some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »

I am assuming you mean windows presentation foundation. Yes it is possible to render SFML into a WPF form, it is not the simplest thing to do, but it is possible (I have done it).

As for the the other questions I will let some of the other more knowledgeable guys answer them.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Roger Martins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »

I am assuming you mean windows presentation foundation. Yes it is possible to render SFML into a WPF form, it is not the simplest thing to do, but it is possible (I have done it).

As for the the other questions I will let some of the other more knowledgeable guys answer them.

thanks mate, can you hint me on how you did it?
did you have the problem where wpf context menus didn't display well over the opengl context?

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:57:43 pm »
What versions of OpenGl are supported?
IIRC SFML is built for OpenGL' core profile 2.1, you can also just search for it, there should be some answers.
From there on you can use anything that's higher, as the documentation states:
Quote from: Docs
OpenGL versions above 3.0 are supported by SFML (as long as your graphics driver can handle them), but you can't set flags for now. This means that you can't create debug or forward compatible contexts; in fact SFML automatically creates contexts with the "compatibility" flag, because it uses a few deprecated functions internally. This should be improved soon, and flags will then be exposed in the public API.

What is the binary size of SFML in a built application (with only the modules that are used for windowing, graphics and input)?
Depends on how you link SFML, what compiler you use, for which platform you build, etc.
If you link statically and your compiler is smart enough it would really only include the symbols that are used by your code. If you link dynamically it you'll have to ship the full dlls. x64 binaries are often bigger than x86 ones etc.
Not to forget that you could use some an compressor in the end to shrink the binary even further.
So overall I can tell you that your assets will most likely turn out to be way bigger than your binary. ;)

One last favor, can you guys provide some references on what was SFML used in(commercial)? I'm searching but I really don't want to miss anything important.
There are a lot of projects out there with SFML (e.g. see my SFML News), commercial games are rare but that's mostly because SFML is relatively young and people tend to use what's older and "more established", so I think this should really not be something to measure SFML's "success". You can find a few by BLENDO Games (Atom Zombie Smasher & Air Forte, maybe others).
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Roger Martins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:23:03 pm »

Depends on how you link SFML, what compiler you use, for which platform you build, etc.
If you link statically and your compiler is smart enough it would really only include the symbols that are used by your code. If you link dynamically it you'll have to ship the full dlls. x64 binaries are often bigger than x86 ones etc.
Not to forget that you could use some an compressor in the end to shrink the binary even further.
So overall I can tell you that your assets will most likely turn out to be way bigger than your binary. ;)

I understand this but my adviser asked me to try and get this information. I think he has some weird device he wants to target also.
So do you have any estimate on the size (from static linking, excluding compiler "smartness" hehe)?
I suppose opengl Es is supported, is that right?

thanks
(btw using sfml transforms and api in general was refreshing, so easy)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:33:38 pm »
I understand this but my adviser asked me to try and get this information. I think he has some weird device he wants to target also.
So do you have any estimate on the size (from static linking, excluding compiler "smartness" hehe)?
Without a target platform it's impossible to say. Like the TDM x64 compiler will generate you 3-4 times bigger binaries than TDM x86 and each OS will have a different size. You can only download the full precompiled libs and look at their size to get an upper bound.

Unfortunately not yet.  :-[
There's eSFML that has some implementation working for Android...
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Roger Martins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:45:59 pm »
Without a target platform it's impossible to say. Like the TDM x64 compiler will generate you 3-4 times bigger binaries than TDM x86 and each OS will have a different size. You can only download the full precompiled libs and look at their size to get an upper bound.

Unfortunately not yet.  :-[
There's eSFML that has some implementation working for Android...

yea i was reading about eSFML 5 mins ago, cool stuff

on the precompiled libs
i got 266 KB from the release libs, now i need to add all the dlls, 3540kb
so arround ~4mgs

Thanks alot mate, got everything i needed

anything