Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Significant memory leak in SFML when creating multiple windows  (Read 14061 times)

awr

• View Profile
Significant memory leak in SFML when creating multiple windows
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »
I'm using SFML in a scenario where I need to spawn multiple windows (never simultaneously). SFML is being used inside a video player control inside a wider application and whenever a user goes to play a video, a new SFML window is created.

However, this seems to create a memory leak and I suspect it might be related to opengl contexts being created. I've attached both a C# and C++ version to demonstrate the issue.

private RenderWindow SFMLWindow = null;
private void RenderLoop()
        {
            //SFMLWindow = new RenderWindow(new VideoMode(400, 300), "SFML doesn't work(s)");    

while(true)
            {
                SFMLWindow = new RenderWindow(new VideoMode(800, 600), "hello");
                SFML.Graphics.Texture texture = new Texture(1920, 1080);
                SFML.Graphics.Sprite sprite = new Sprite(texture);
                SFMLWindow.Draw(sprite);
                SFMLWindow.Display();
                SFMLWindow.Clear();

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000);

SFMLWindow.Close();
                SFMLWindow.Dispose();

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000);

texture.Dispose();
                sprite.Dispose();
            }
     }

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
        sf::RenderWindow window;

while (true)
        {
                window.create(sf::VideoMode(800, 600), "leak");
                sf::Texture texture;           
                texture.create(1920, 1080);
                sf::Sprite sprite(texture);
                window.draw(sprite);
                window.display();

Sleep(1000);

window.clear();
                window.close();

Sleep(1000);
        }
}

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Significant memory leak in SFML when creating multiple windows
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »
What's the difference between this C++ code, and the previous one that didn't leak?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

awr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 03:12:21 pm »
There is no difference. It's just that I had multiple instances of Visual Studio open and I was looking at the wrong task name.  :-[ Upon running the test again as a sanity check I noticed that it in fact was also leaking.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 03:18:36 pm »
Too bad now my post on the deleted topic is gone. :-\

You should run an actual memory leak detection tool instead of guess from far with various tools. I highly doubt that you get leaks up to 7 MB for a 10 MB texture, it probably rather looks like "leaked".

I guess it's yet another context creation thingy, but can't be sure. That the garbage collector can't clean everything sounds reasonable given that SFML is not managed.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

awr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »
Too bad now my post on the deleted topic is gone. :-\

You should run an actual memory leak detection tool instead of guess from far with various tools. I highly doubt that you get leaks up to 7 MB for a 10 MB texture, it probably rather looks like "leaked".

I guess it's yet another context creation thingy, but can't be sure. That the garbage collector can't clean everything sounds reasonable given that SFML is not managed.

To add to this, it's not the process of creating the texture that's leaking, I only see a leak when deleting the current window and instantiating a new one. I did run debugdiag and I do recall seeing leaks in ig7cd32.dll though at that point there was another (context related) leak in my code that I've since removed and isn't an issue in these minimal examples. I'll re-run debugdiag or some other unmanaged leak tool tomorrow to see if I can nail where the leak is coming from.

Also, from memory when I just create the texture and sprite but don't call window.draw(...), the leak didn't occur.

awr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:01:07 am »
Strangely enough, running memory profile tools haven't detected a memory leak, but memory is definitely increasing and not dropping.

I ran the C++ test, with both sleep statements at 500ms, for 2 minutes.

Initially, memory (working set) was at 136MB. After 2 minutes, it had increased to 593MB. The texture size was 1200x600, or 2.74MB per second. The memory was increasing at a rate of 3.8MB per second.

Running the exact same test, except with the window.draw(sprite) line commented out, resulted in working set staying constant at about 42MB.

Hopefully the following code sample will hint at the issue:

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
        sf::RenderWindow window;

while (true)
        {
                window.create(sf::VideoMode(600, 300), "SFML works! ");
                sf::Texture texture;           
                texture.create(1200, 600);
                sf::Sprite sprite(texture);
                window.draw(sprite);
                window.display();

Sleep(500);

sf::Texture smallTexture;
                smallTexture.create(1,1);
                sf::Sprite smallSprite(smallTexture);  

window.clear();
                window.draw(smallSprite);
                window.display();
                window.close();

Sleep(500);
        }
}

This code produces no noticeable leak, given that the texture is so small.

However, what seems to be happening is that the memory allocated to the last texture drawn to the window is not being released for whatever reason. This hack would work for my purposes as nobody's going to notice such a small leak but it's an ugly hack regardless.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:48:18 am »
Sometimes it's the OpenGL driver that causes such a memory grow.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:18:13 am »
With that being said, is your graphics driver up to date?
——————————————————————

wintertime

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:48 am »
There are many different values of memory use in Windows and you are using the wrong one. The current working set is not the same as allocated memory.
Windows only gives an application a dynamically changing allowance of pages, that depends on recently used memory pages, and removes the rest from the working set to put them into some global cache, where they are technically still in memory, but are premarked to be swapped out if memory is needed later and may produce a page fault already which swaps a page back into the working set.

awr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 03:45:12 am »
With that being said, is your graphics driver up to date?
I upgraded a month or so ago so its quite a recent problem. I haven't tested it on another machine but I don't think it's the driver.

awr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 03:48:48 am »
There are many different values of memory use in Windows and you are using the wrong one. The current working set is not the same as allocated memory.
Windows only gives an application a dynamically changing allowance of pages, that depends on recently used memory pages, and removes the rest from the working set to put them into some global cache, where they are technically still in memory, but are premarked to be swapped out if memory is needed later and may produce a page fault already which swaps a page back into the working set.
From memory, private bytes was increasing at the same rate as working set.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 10:51:21 am »
binary1248 looks for other applications that rely on opening and closing windows (creating and destroying DCs often) to provide functionality...
binary1248 finds nothing...
binary1248 considers running to the wgl/driver support people to ask if this is normal...
wgl/driver support people ignore help request upon reading problem description...
binary1248 assumes there is no demand for support of such a use case, thereby obviating effort to fix it...

This is an operating system/driver issue. I'm sure merely creating a single device context already leaks some unnoticeable amount of memory, it's just that it is so little, and it is typically a one time operation that it isn't even considered as a leak (we know how people tend to bend definitions in their favour). As long as there isn't a AAA developer behind some complaint you can keep hoping that this will get fixed one day. Or you could just resort to typical use scenarios and avoid pushing the driver beyond what any "sane" developer would even consider doing.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

awr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:58:07 am »
binary1248 looks for other applications that rely on opening and closing windows (creating and destroying DCs often) to provide functionality...
binary1248 finds nothing...
binary1248 considers running to the wgl/driver support people to ask if this is normal...
wgl/driver support people ignore help request upon reading problem description...
binary1248 assumes there is no demand for support of such a use case, thereby obviating effort to fix it...

This is an operating system/driver issue. I'm sure merely creating a single device context already leaks some unnoticeable amount of memory, it's just that it is so little, and it is typically a one time operation that it isn't even considered as a leak (we know how people tend to bend definitions in their favour). As long as there isn't a AAA developer behind some complaint you can keep hoping that this will get fixed one day. Or you could just resort to typical use scenarios and avoid pushing the driver beyond what any "sane" developer would even consider doing.
Such presumptuous smugness us at best unhelpful and at worst detrimental. Your inability to think up a scenario where multiple windows are created isn't indicative of an insane scenario.

FYI, I'm not creating windows for the fun of it. SFML is being used inside a windows forms control with the window actually a picturebox in the form (instantiated by passing the handle). The form is a video player control, with SFML responsible for the video rendering. Its used inside a wider application where users can view videos, in which case the an instance of the video player is created and a new window alongside it. The video playback is a periphery feature and thus the control is disposed after playback. The control can also be used an activex component in IE and on each refresh an instance is created.

Pray tell, with your no doubt boundless understanding of programming and programming techniques, how the above constitutes an insane use case, or even a particularly unorthodox one? With your use of useless rhetoric like AAA developer you are no doubt a bastion of knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:01:50 pm by awr »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:47:30 pm »
I upgraded a month or so ago so its quite a recent problem. I haven't tested it on another machine but I don't think it's the driver.
You're not helping yourself or anyone else by assuming such a thing. ;)
Even if drivers are marked as "stable" they can contain bugs and what binary1248 tried to point out is, that no matter what you or even a group of us people do, the driver maintainers won't fix the bug for us. They really don't care unless you're a big company, sad but true.

I've run your code for a few minutes and it probably created around 100 or more windows and my memory consumption never went over 20 MiB. It often went up to 18 MiB but then the OS kicked in and detatched the unused memory and it went down to 11-13 MiB.
So I'm not sure what you're looking for. If the memory leak detector doesn't detect anything, if it doesn't visually leak on all systems and if the leak (if at all) is only a few bytes. Sure it's bad if there's a leak, but is it worth all the time you've already spent and we've already spent trying to hunt down something that wouldn't be an issue in about any scenario. What if the application uses a few MiB more? To make it an issue would be to create thousands of new windows, if that's the case, then you'd might want to think about a virtual windowing system anyways. ;)
——————————————————————

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 12:48:49 pm »
I wonder who is the one who misunderstands the other... You obviously assume that I don't understand what you are trying to do. It is kind of obvious since you stated it multiple times in your previous posts. The difference between you using SFML to create a video player control and "other" such applications is that in the latter case, the control doesn't constantly go though context/window creation and destruction that often because it is designed to be used as a control within an owning Window. The fact that SFML allows you to do this does not imply that that is what it was designed for. You can loathe this fact as much as you want but that will not change anything. If the reverse was true, SFML context management would look entirely different, but then it wouldn't be able to be used standalone, and I think we know which use case occurs more...

And about "sane" usage. If you really think I were so atrocious as to define what "sane" usage was, then you haven't dealt with this kind of issue enough. It has occurred time and again that "something" is not well if at all supported. If you dig deeper you will not find any useful information, and it might sound like a conspiracy theory, but I think anyone with common sense will understand why certain groups are not willing to invest time/money into certain things and a ludicrous amount in others. I'm not the one you should ask what "sane" is. Maybe the better term would be "typical", however being "atypical" would also be seen as degrading by some. So please do suggest a term that properly describes a minority group that does something differing in a large way from the main group because they are not aware of or don't want to embrace the fact that the main group is the group with more support. I find "sane" very descriptive in this case.

And since we are already in that area, open up the release notes of the last driver version provided for your graphics hardware, read a few of the points listed in the list related to the latest gaming titles you can currently procure. Find a phrase  that unambiguously describes the people who develop those titles and prevents confusion with any other form of developer who doesn't make it onto that list. The only thing I could come up with is "AAA developer", your turn, suggest something. If I were in the mood I could also label it as useless rhetoric, but to be honest, I have better things to do than play these games.

Just to be clear, I am not against anything you are doing. I am just stating the current situation. You can like or dislike it, but that doesn't change much. I've browsed through SFML's context code multiple times trying to isolate what could cause this problem because I do take an interest in making SFML better, this also means I suggest improvements to the SFML codebase and rarely provide workarounds for certain projects because this detracts from the overall effort to improve SFML instead of the applications that use it. I can only assume you haven't gone so far, otherwise you would have mentioned it already. I don't really care if you take my efforts for granted, however that is still no reason to lash back because it is not what you would have expected as an outcome. I am not someone who comforts those in need. I provide them with cold hard facts whether they like it or not. There are enough people who hide reality in order to achieve something, but that is not my idea of progress.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

anything