Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Faster  (Read 12367 times)

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
Faster
« on: December 03, 2013, 03:47:28 am »
Hello everybody! I am creating a small platformer called Faster. The end goal for the game is to have a random level generator that creates rooms for the player. I plan to release Faster as a free open-source game on the computer then re-write it using C# and XNA for the Windows Phone, and Lua and Corona for Android and IOS.

The game consists of 20X20 "rooms" full of obstacles that the player has to get through to reach the exit to the room. The player has 20 lives(that may be changed to 20 lives per room depending on how hard I decide to make the game). The only thing I have left to work on is the level generator and making some minor adjustments then the game is ready to be released!

Game download link(source and executable):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y185o3ysu49u21n/Faster+-+Build+3.zip

This download includes everything you need to run the game in the "Faster" file and the source code for the game in the "Faster Source" file.

Also, in the options screen to change the options hover your mouse over the option you want to change and press the left arrow key to lower the value and the right arrow key to raise the value(I may change this to something that is easier to use in the future). The only option that will be saved is the "volume" option. The others are disabled and do nothing(these options will be replaced with other things later).

This is my first attempt at a game or any large programming project so I would appreciate any feedback you have about the game mechanics, my code, or anything else. I am also looking for some feedback on the performance of the game. The frame rate limit is locked at 60 but if the game drops below that at any point please tell me and include your computer's specs in the comment.

I will be able to update the post to provide a video and screenshots soon. Also the sound is obviously temporary. It is just some things I found that I thought were funny at the time and they stuck.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the game!

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-Q9GKl93Q

Screenshots are now attached at the bottom.

(Update: 2/5/14)
I have updated the download link to the current state of the game. I have made the random level generator and it is working well but is not complete. It may make a level that is impossible to complete and if this happens just hit the "n" key. It will generate a new level. Also, if you get to a place in the level where it is impossible to complete, hit the "r" key to reset the level. The levels that will be created will not be very exciting right now. It works by placing predefined groups of tiles around a line that is made from one side of the room to the other. I have only created 3 groups so far but I will obviously be adding more once the level generator is complete.

I have also fixed a few of the bugs in the game. Most of them were collision issues. There are a few bugs that I need to fix with the random level generator.

I have also changed the music to a song I made in Garage Band three years ago. I know it's terrible, I will make the final music once the game is complete.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:20:24 am by KarmaKilledtheCat »

AlejandroCoria

• View Profile
    • alejandrocoria.games
    • Email
Re: Faster
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:44:16 am »
(sorry for the bad english - Google Translate)

I did not play the game yet. I can not run (I have Windows XP) and I can not compile (I have VS2008). But i was looking at the code a bit and has an error:
while (Window.pollEvent(Event)) //proccess the events
{
        if (Event.type == sf::Event::Closed) //if the close button is hit
                Window.close(); //close the window
}

ScreenManager::GetInstance().Update(Window, Event);
When run
The last event processed in the frame is passed as a parameter, when in reality can occur several events that maybe be needed.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:07:29 am »
Screenshots are always nice to get a first impression of something. :)

MrMuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:30:51 am »
I am also looking for some feedback on the performance of the game.

This laptop I'm on is 7 years old, and...60fps :)

Anyways this is pretty neat, everything goes with the name (the menus, dieing, transitions etc..).
Although if you run against a wall and jump, occasionally you will fall through and my guess keep falling. The debug reports a top collision despite the wall being straight.

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:41 pm »
I am also looking for some feedback on the performance of the game.

This laptop I'm on is 7 years old, and...60fps :)

Anyways this is pretty neat, everything goes with the name (the menus, dieing, transitions etc..).
Although if you run against a wall and jump, occasionally you will fall through and my guess keep falling. The debug reports a top collision despite the wall being straight.

Thank you very much for the performance feedback and alerting me to that bug. I will look into fixing it.

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
(sorry for the bad english - Google Translate)

I did not play the game yet. I can not run (I have Windows XP) and I can not compile (I have VS2008). But i was looking at the code a bit and has an error:
while (Window.pollEvent(Event)) //proccess the events
{
        if (Event.type == sf::Event::Closed) //if the close button is hit
                Window.close(); //close the window
}

When run
The last event processed in the frame is passed as a parameter, when in reality can occur several events that maybe be needed.

I thought that the sf::Event held a stack of all events processed in the frame. I could be wrong though, I will look back at the tutorials.

downtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:10:49 am »
Did not have time to look over the Code or test the game (yet :D).
Never the less i wanted to give you a little bit feedback based on your video.
Looks very promising and fun/challenging. One thing i think you could improve though is the visuals for the shots of the following guns in the Corners. The first minute or so i didn't even realize they did anything. Doesn't need to be anything gigantic, just something big enough to recognize it in your peripheral vision would be nice.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »
I didn't even see the guns in the left/right upper corner :)

And how did you die shortly before the door? It looked like an invisible force sucked you down...
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:57 pm »
Did not have time to look over the Code or test the game (yet :D).
Never the less i wanted to give you a little bit feedback based on your video.
Looks very promising and fun/challenging. One thing i think you could improve though is the visuals for the shots of the following guns in the Corners. The first minute or so i didn't even realize they did anything. Doesn't need to be anything gigantic, just something big enough to recognize it in your peripheral vision would be nice.

Good Idea. I think that the reason you didn't realize that the guns did anything is because of the quality of the video. They shoot small bright red bullets but you can't see them in the video. I will try to implement some kind of muzzle flash when the guns go off.

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 11:23:43 pm »
I didn't even see the guns in the left/right upper corner :)

And how did you die shortly before the door? It looked like an invisible force sucked you down...

I saw how the player got sucked down right before the door but I couldn't replicate the bug. It looks like the game thinks that the collision was a top collision not a side collision.

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34:49 am »
I think that I fixed the problem where the player shot down through the map in the video. It was just a small collision problem where one of the top collision vertices would intersect with the tile when it shouldn't making the player move down to the bottom of the tile. I have also started working on the map generator. It is going well so far.

Sub

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:25 pm »
The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from my computer. 

I downloaded the .dll and it now works no problem, but I thought you should know.

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:28 am »
The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from my computer. 

I downloaded the .dll and it now works no problem, but I thought you should know.

Did you run the program from the executable file or the VS project? If you ran it from the executable file where did you download the .dll?

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 03:18:47 am »
If im not mistaken, the required DLL is a part of the Visual C++ redistributable package for Visual Studio 2013 Preview. I had to install it myself in order to try this game.

KarmaKilledtheCat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:29 am »
If im not mistaken, the required DLL is a part of the Visual C++ redistributable package for Visual Studio 2013 Preview. I had to install it myself in order to try this game.

Do you need that file to run a program from an executable or only if you are running it from Visual Studio?