Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [ODFAEG] (Open Source Development Framework Adapted for Every Game)  (Read 139280 times)

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
Re: [ODFAEG] (Open Source Development Framework Adapted for Every Game)
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »
I think that some documentation would be more useful than videos

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 05:40:14 pm »
Ok, I'll do that. :P

I just have to finish the last chapter. (creating a full game with ODFAEG)

But I thing I'll put the PDF this evening on git-hub. :) (Only the last chapter is still missing anyway)

panithadrum

• View Profile
    • Skyrpex@Github
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:47 pm »
I'm not sure if you already know doxygen, but it's an amazing tool that generates documentation from your source comments (I think SFML still uses it)

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »
When we asked for examples, it was source code examples along with you lib. We can't see anything about your framework on the video, except that the shadow is reversed or something

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2014, 06:35:21 pm »
I think your library would work better if it had some twist in it, something unique.. You're just implementing what other libraries do too and will take a lot of time to mature your systems to the level of your competitors..

My suggestion: Pick a game with something REALLY unique about it and implement a system to aid the development in your library. That would be a decent way to provide some value ;D

Deathbeam

• VB6, VB.NET, C#, HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript nerd.
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 06:49:08 pm »
Hmm that video looks a bit choppy. Atleast fix your character sprite, becouse it is looking like some weird graphics artifacts :D.
Spooker Framework - Open source gaming library
My portfolio
Indie Armory - Small community of a game developers. Everyone is welcome. Bring your friends, family, pets...

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 07:22:56 pm »
Mmm...., graphism is very a problem for me but I'll try at least to fix my caracter sprite.

For the shadow I need to reverse it but I need to find another way than flipX which is no more avalaible with SFML 2.0.

And I don't need to reverse all the render texture....

Mmm...., I'll look into the code of SFML 1.6 I think and implement flipX and flipY method.

I'll also rmove this video so and makes one with a full game.

Deathbeam

• VB6, VB.NET, C#, HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript nerd.
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 07:29:34 pm »
Mmm...., graphism is very a problem for me but I'll try at least to fix my caracter sprite.

For the shadow I need to reverse it but I need to find another way than flipX which is no more avalaible with SFML 2.0.

And I don't need to reverse all the render texture....

Mmm...., I'll look into the code of SFML 1.6 I think and implement flipX and flipY method.

I'll also rmove this video so and makes one with a full game.
Try this graphics: http://www.reinerstilesets.de/ They are free to use and isometric and your demo game will be looking hundred times better
Spooker Framework - Open source gaming library
My portfolio
Indie Armory - Small community of a game developers. Everyone is welcome. Bring your friends, family, pets...

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 07:46:29 pm »

Its called negative scale.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 08:15:23 pm »
Its called negative scale.

Ok thanks. :)

The Terminator

• Windows and Mac C++ Developer
    • View Profile
[ODFAEG] (Open Source Development Framework Adapted for Every Game)
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:54 am »
I honestly don't think anyone is going to go for this library due to its over complication. We all came to SFML for its simplistic, clean, and modern design that is useful and beautiful. It seems to me that you're programming a lot of things just to be able to say that you did it, when you're actually reinventing a much more complicated wheel. I advise you to take a step back and actually design before you program. It will help a lot too if you listen to the more experienced members of the community too. *cough* Nexus and Grimshaw *cough*
Current Projects:
Technoport

therocode

• View Profile
    • Development blog
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2014, 08:35:54 am »
I've been following this thread for a while and I've also viewed your recent showcase video, and I am wondering about something.

You aim for this framework to be _the_ framework to use regardless of which type of game you want to make. This is even in the framework name (Adapted for Every Game). But what I've seen so far really only looks like it deals with top down isometric style 2D graphics. What I wonder is if I'd want to make a 3D FPS game, or a big MMO, or even a fast platformer, would this be possible with your framework? I would kind of expect that it would be, since that is what it promises, but I have not seen many things mentioned related to such types of games.

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2014, 10:25:29 am »
Don't say that I'm doing another framework like my competitors again, please, when you don't know what I'm doing, thor don't use a 2D isometric perspective!!! (And the SFM-game book too)
So It's not that I don't want to listen to the advices of the other which have made a good framework. (I don't want to blame them)
But one library use a particule system, a resource holding system and a good action system (the thor library) but not 2D isometric perspective and an entity manager, another library use only GUIs (SfGui), another only the network (sfNul), others one only entity managers and other only the 3D without the SFML phylosophy and code design. (Irrlicht, Ogre, etc...)
I want to regroup all this libraries into a framework, that's why I've created ODFAEG, to simplify the things and to make it all faster.

And I don't thing there is actually a framework which do all of that with SFML.
For the moment you are just able to create small 2D or 2D isometric games, that's right.
But as I say, 3D games and multiplayers games'll come in the next versions, so, plz be patient.

I want to make a framework adapted for every game as you said, it's something unique because I don't know a framework which allow us to do that. (2D, 2D isometric and 3D game with the same framework)

You are always forced to use a different framework for each kind of game and sometimes several frameworks, and their simplicity and code design doesn't always follow the phylosophy of SFML)

So don't worry about that, later, you'll be able to create 3D FPS and big 3D mmorpgs like in this example :

http://linor.fr/tutoriaux/sommaire-3-creation-un-jeu-video.php

I've just to implement the code of all my projects into the framework but before to do that I want to have a stable version with only one kind of game. :)

But my priority for the moment is my Sorrok project, and even without an example for another kind of game you should be able to do another kind of 2D game (and  3D game in the next framework version) with the framework. :)

The use of the framework isn't so complex, I'll post a pdf on the git-hub. :)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:37 am »
I want to make a framework adapted for every game as you said, it's something unique because I don't know a framework which allow us to do that. (2D, 2D isometric and 3D game with the same framework)

So don't worry about that, later, you'll be able to create 3D FPS and big 3D mmorpgs
I won't stand in your way of doing anything, I can just say, that it's impossible to have one framework for all types and genres of games. But I guess you want to find out yourself, so go ahead. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2014, 11:33:28 am »
^ what eXpl0it3r said.. I also don't want to stop you from doing your thing. I find it a great thing that you are willing to contribute to the community. All the "advice" I try to give is towards giving more value to your time spent on the project.

You simply _cant_ have a good MMO or 3D game or even some kinds of 2D games unless you have an architecture tailored for that purpose. What AAA game engines do is to provide a strict workflow pipeline which happens to work for many things, but not for others. This is also made possible by the intense optimization they do.

Many, many people have tried to create frameworks that work for every game type and they all failed to some extent. The results are usually too low level, therefore making the developer's life easier to a small extent, who still needs to code a lot of basic things to have his game up and running. The other ones simply never happen, because making a system that is that flexible, optimized and capable will probably take a LONG time to make and turn out so complex that no one will ever use it.

That's why you should create a tool that has its own place in the market, filling a gap the others don't fill. For example, if I want a full fledged 3D game, I probably pick Unity or something like that. If I want a really experimental 2D game, I pick SFML and prototype it right away with all the freedom. And so on.. If you don't attend a particular need of the developers, they will probably never use your tool, because there will be always a better solution.

Also remember a developer probably doesn't pick your library unless it has been proven. As in, a game was previously made with your framework, that at least slightly resembles what he/she wants to make. Will you do all these fully-polished types of games yourself? How many lives will you need to complete them?