Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: DSFML-C "Nightlies"  (Read 14498 times)

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
DSFML-C "Nightlies"
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:05:45 am »
Here are The most recent builds for DSFML-C, with the exception of the 2.0 binaries. I'll be uploading those soon, but for now the most up to date code should be just fine.

*Current*

Windows 32bit - August 8th, 2014
Windows 64bit - August 6th, 2014

Linux 32bit - July 30th, 2014
Linux 64bit - Auguest 2nd, 2014

OSX - August 2nd, 2014

*2.0*

Windows 32bit - Compiled December 19th, 2013

Windows 64bit - Coming 2014(Unless someone else wants to build them for me)

Linux 32bit - Compiled December 28th, 2013 on Mint

Linux 64bit - Compiled December 19th, 2013 on Mint

OS X - Compiled November 11th, 2013 by someone else. Haven't been tested by me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:53:20 am by Jebbs »
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

dmoore764

• View Profile
Re: DSFML-C "Nightlies"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »
You should mention in the tutorial that you need to install DMD from dlang.org first.  Maybe it's obvious to most people, but I didn't realize that installing dub wasn't enough.

Also, once I got it to compile, it gives an error "The program can't start because dsfml-graphics-2.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I don't know where it could be looking for the dll's other than the folder that I initially specified in the package.json...?

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50:44 pm »
You should mention in the tutorial that you need to install DMD from dlang.org first.  Maybe it's obvious to most people, but I didn't realize that installing dub wasn't enough.

Ah, yes. You are right. It was mentioned in the original tutorial, but looks like it was left out when I split them up into parts. I'll fix this, thanks.

Also, once I got it to compile, it gives an error "The program can't start because dsfml-graphics-2.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I don't know where it could be looking for the dll's other than the folder that I initially specified in the package.json...?

This was mentioned in the tutorial, but I can clarify it a little bit. When you go to run the program, the dll's need to either be in a location that is in the PATH, or in the same directory and the exe.

dmoore764

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »
Sweet!  Works great now.  Can't wait to give this a shot.  Thanks for your hard work!

malkierian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:16:51 am »
Also, for those who were used to building things in the past, is this download that is now linked to everywhere everything we need to get DSFML working on our system?  I.E. this has DSFML and DSFML-C all wrapped up and we don't need to build DSFML on these seemingly DSFML-C files?

dmoore764

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:16 am »
Also, for those who were used to building things in the past, is this download that is now linked to everywhere everything we need to get DSFML working on our system?  I.E. this has DSFML and DSFML-C all wrapped up and we don't need to build DSFML on these seemingly DSFML-C files?

Correct.  I didn't have to download anything else related to SFML or SFML-C or DSFML-C (and this computer had not been used for any SFML dev in the past, so I know there wasn't anything lurking anywhere).

Just
  • download DMD from dlang.org
  • download dub
  • download the binaries
  • follow the instructions for setting up the dub project and building
  • remember to copy the dll files (the binaries) into your project folder
  • done

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:39:43 pm »

Correct.

Kind of. These downloads are only the C libraries that wrap SFML. It doesn't include any D code because that side off things is more likely to change and it's easy enough to rebuild if you need to. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:48:35 am by Jebbs »

malkierian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:54:41 pm »
You may want to restore the building instructions then on the DSFML Github, because I couldn't find them anywhere.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:19:30 pm »
Wiki recently had some updates.

Check things out here(for Windows):
https://github.com/Jebbs/DSFML/wiki/Getting-Started-in-Windows

malkierian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 02:06:44 am »
OK, I did manage to find the instructions a little buried, but doesn't it build against the DSFML-C libraries?  How do I tell it where to look?  It seems to succeed automatically, but I don't know how to guarantee it's building against the latest libs.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 07:42:32 am »
OK, I did manage to find the instructions a little buried, but doesn't it build against the DSFML-C libraries?

Buried? There was a link to the build instructions on the page I linked above. :P And it wouldn't build correctly if it couldn't find the dsfml-xxx.lib files. Those are what connect it to the dll's.

How do I tell it where to look?  It seems to succeed automatically, but I don't know how to guarantee it's building against the latest libs.

On Windows, you need to use the -L+Path compiler option. For example:
dmd main.d -L+C:\Users\Jeremy\Desktop\dsfml\ dsfml-graphics.lib dsfml-window.lib dsfml-system.lib

This looks for all the .lib files in C:\Users\Jeremy\Desktop\dsfml\

You have to make sure the right dll's end up in the exe directory though.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 09:33:59 am »
OK, I did manage to find the instructions a little buried, but doesn't it build against the DSFML-C libraries?

Buried? There was a link to the build instructions on the page I linked above. :P And it wouldn't build correctly if it couldn't find the dsfml-xxx.lib files. Those are what connect it to the dll's.

Edit:
Some of the wording in the wiki could probably be improved. I'll look into this and see what I can fix.

How do I tell it where to look?  It seems to succeed automatically, but I don't know how to guarantee it's building against the latest libs.

On Windows, you need to use the -L+Path compiler option. For example:
dmd main.d -L+C:\Users\Jeremy\Desktop\dsfml\ dsfml-graphics.lib dsfml-window.lib dsfml-system.lib

This looks for all the .lib files in C:\Users\Jeremy\Desktop\dsfml\

You have to make sure the right dll's end up in the exe directory though.

malkierian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 04:40:59 pm »
So if it is finding the lib files automatically when building DSFML, where do I put the new ones I just downloaded for it to build against?  Will what you posted (the dmd main.d line) work for building DSFML too?

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 05:49:38 am »
So if it is finding the lib files automatically when building DSFML, where do I put the new ones I just downloaded for it to build against?  Will what you posted (the dmd main.d line) work for building DSFML too?

Just realized I didn't answer this, but I think our other conversations covered it, yes?

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 05:50:21 am »
Just updated the first post to include a user contributed OS X build as well as a 32bit Linux build.

anything