Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: in SFML  (Read 5429 times)

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
in SFML
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:49 pm »
Is there any way to import objects made in blender to SFML project? I mean I already completed 50% of the SFML tutorial and in the future I want to make 3d games in it. I know that you can use OpenGl with SFML.

The Terminator

• Windows and Mac C++ Developer
    • View Profile
in SFML
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:55:33 pm »
You will have to build a renderer yourself. SFML does not support those sorts of features.
Current Projects:
Technoport

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: in SFML
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:52 pm »
Can't I just use some existing opengl renderer?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »
Can't I just use some existing opengl renderer?

Of course.  ;)
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:21:56 pm »
SFML is built for 2D rendering, thus it only provides 2D rendering features. However since it's based on OpenGL, one can use SFML for creating a window and then use your own OpenGL rendering.

If you want some other 3D features (without having to write them all yourself), you might want to look into other libraries. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:00 pm »
How hard would it be to create 2,5 D game like this one:

Im kinda new to game development so this could be stupid question: can i combine opengl renderer to import blender objects and do background and programing (so that character can't walk through objects) in SFML? Or is there some other easier way of making such game.

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:16:06 pm »
Yes, you can mix OpenGL drawings with SFML drawings, it's even explained in the last chapter of the SFML OpenGL tutorial.

How hard is it to make a game like the one in your video? Hard if you're new to gamedev, don't expect to finish it in 2014.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:06:50 pm »
If you're directly aiming at 3D games, a 3D engine such as Irrlicht or Ogre might also be an idea. I wouldn't recommend this however, starting with 2D is definitely more reasonable.

In any case, I think you underestimate this endeavour massively. If you are new to game development, I suggest to get used to the basics first (game loop, rendering, vector algebra, collision detection/response, animations, particles, ...). SFML is an ideal library to begin with, because it offers a lot of high-level features. There are also some interesting extensions to SFML that make your life easier, see here.

Also, make sure you have a decent amount of knowledge about C++; one of the most often made mistakes is trying to learn game development without really knowing the programming language. People believe they save time by skipping not so interesting topics in the beginning, but eventually they need to tediously fill the gaps and produce much worse code that results in wasted time for development and debugging.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

didii

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:15:49 am »
You could also take a look at Unity. It's basically Game Maker in 3D: incredibly easy to get started with, but gives a false view on how hard it actually is to make a complete game which puts a lot of people off.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
Instead of going 3D (lots of work) you could compromise and do 2.5D isometric projection (less work but still nice depth look).

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:51 pm »
Ok. Thank you all for your replies. Of course that I wont do 3D game development any time soon. Im just asking because later in my life I want to make similar game. Also Ogre seems like a messy API and Irrlicht seems to have very bad lightning.

I'm aware that the easiest way is to use engines such as Unity, game maker 3d and shive ; but I want to "get my hands dirty".

I'm not sure if I can create some kind of 2d sheet of object created in blender, but idea seems great.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:36:04 pm »
As far as 3D engines are concerned, Crystal Space ( http://www.crystalspace3d.org/ ) is also an option.