Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: (Visual Studio 2010) Is there a way around setting up SFML in each project?  (Read 2249 times)

monkeybro10

• View Profile
    • Email
I've managed to set up SFML to run in Visual Studio 2010 so that the demo works and everything, but is there a way to avoid doing this setup process every time I want to create a new project?
Specifying the file paths and linker settings just seems like something you shouldn't have to do more than once.
Is there a way to make it a preset (such as "Win32 Console Application") when you make a new project, so I can just click "SFML Application" and be done?

If there is no way to do this, what are some work arounds, if there are any?
Thank you, and please excuse me if this is a really nooby question.

I would use a newer version of Visual Studio, but my school still uses Windows XP, so I can't really transfer projects easily unless I use the version that works with my school laptop.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:28:01 pm by monkeybro10 »

eigenbom

• View Profile
In my VS2013 express I have a "File -> Export Template" option, which I presume saves all the project settings into a reuseable template. Not sure if there's the same thing in VS2010..

monkeybro10

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been looking into templates. I was looking for an "Export Template" option in my VS, but it seems to be missing from my File menu. I've read that you should be able to use it in VS 2010, but I don't seem to have it and I don't know why. I've looked into using Tools->Customize to add it to my File menu, but it's not there either.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Or just do it every time, to be honest here - how often are you going to be creating a new project? On top of that it really isn't that difficult and can be setup in like 10 minutes, this really is a process you should get comfortable doing it seeing as understanding preprocessor and linker settings is crucial to programming.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

eigenbom

• View Profile
Zsbzsb - he asked how to do it, not if he should do it. Setting up a new project is a bit of a pain and VS templates exist for that reason. Add dependencies like boost, glew, etc., and it gets increasingly tedious to start a quick new project to test something out.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
monkeybro10, the feature you are looking for is called property sheets (starting from VS 2010).
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything