Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Triple buffering  (Read 4232 times)

AdrianM

• View Profile
Triple buffering
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:00:15 pm »
Is there any way to enable triple buffering in sfml? If not is this on a to-do list?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Triple buffering
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:24:07 am »
Triple buffering? What for?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

SephiRok

• View Profile
Triple buffering
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:02:18 am »
So you can get more refined steps of framerates when vsync is on?

With double buffering and vsync if your fps drops below 60 on a 60 Hz refresh rate you will go down heavily to 30, then 20, 15, 12, 10, and so on.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

There is an option for enabling triple buffering in most graphics card control panels, I believe, but it means one has to go to the GPU control panel whenever he wants to switch vsync off/on, or suffer the performance loss of triple buffering without vsync.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement in a library, though I have already seen games with it, although DX, but it would mean you could switch triple buffering on and off together with vsync.

l0calh05t

• View Profile
Triple buffering
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:35:37 am »
I would like to see triple buffering as an option as well (I always activate that in my graphics control panel for vsynced games), but as far as I know, there is no way to activate it in opengl. Some people suggest that the developer shouldn't have access to this because the driver may choose automatically, but I haven't seen this in any driver yet... (the nvidia control panel also only allows on or off, not on, off and auto)

anything