Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 3 - What is your vision?  (Read 237301 times)

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
Re: SFML 3 - What is your vision?
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »
There's been a few times for myself that having the sf::Text hold a reference to a string rather than a value would've been nice. I'd be a fan of the change if it was done.

Was there a design decision as to why it holds a value? I mean, most of the API holds references rather than values.

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2014, 05:43:55 pm »
There's been a few times for myself that having the sf::Text hold a reference to a string rather than a value would've been nice. I'd be a fan of the change if it was done.

Was there a design decision as to why it holds a value? I mean, most of the API holds references rather than values.
How good it will be in multithreaded app?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »
There's been a few times for myself that having the sf::Text hold a reference to a string rather than a value would've been nice.

Until you realize that there would be not any clean solution for the text object to know if the reference it points at has changed its string and internal states need to be updated.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Oldie

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »
Until you realize that there would be not any clean solution for the text object to know if the reference it points at has changed its string and internal states need to be updated.
That is what I thought, more or less. Until very recently I had a utility struct acting as a wrapper on top of sf::Text, which also held a container of sf::String*. The idea was to give the needed strings to the Text instance once, and then forget about them. But even this way, whenever the language changed, I had to do myOwnText::update(), with no argument, so as to apply sf::Text::setString() internally.
I got rid of myOwnText today, and now only rely on sf::Text again and store the needed strings case by case. ;)
Working on a Tic-tac-toe game

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »
That is what I thought, more or less. Until very recently I had a utility struct acting as a wrapper on top of sf::Text, which also held a container of sf::String*. The idea was to give the needed strings to the Text instance once, and then forget about them. But even this way, whenever the language changed, I had to do myOwnText::update(), with no argument, so as to apply sf::Text::setString() internally.

My point exactly  :D either way a function needs to be called on the sf::Text object.  :P
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2014, 06:04:38 pm »
Heh, well that was painfully obvious.

heishe

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »
Haven't logged in in a long time, but this is important to me since I love SFML as a library, but meta-topics keep me and my team from using it at work.

What's an absolute must is cross platform support that also covers mobile platforms, namely android, ios, and windows phone. Would be helpful if you went a way similar to Cocos2D, which now includes a cross-platform project management and build tool, but I guess that's never been the focus of SFML so I don't suspect you will look into it.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2014, 10:31:31 pm »
Quote from: dabbertorres
In general, value semantics are more transparent, less surprising and easier to use than reference semantics. For example, sf::RenderWindow::setView() was changed to store a copy because of that.

I wouldn't say most of the API holds references, it's only a small part. Except for places where a copy is clearly inappropriate (mostly resources), setters store the passed value in the class.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

StDH

• {⛺.⛺}
    • View Profile
    • Worst ever ^^
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »
- C++11: std::to_string ...
- Network: nat hole punching, define packets ttl, timestamp
- Graphics: motion blur shader, shake screen
- Global: "inline" for short functions [like getPosition(), getRotation() ...etc]
- System: add precise clock: std::chrono
<StDH> Imagine a girl writing you this: My farts smell good
<Slipxy> married.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »
SDH, I can't tell what you really meant with all the things you listed.
- C++11: std::to_string ...
So, why can't you just use std::to_string then?

- Network: nat hole punching, define packets ttl, timestamp
NAT hole punching isn't something you can just "enable" between 2 parties, it always consists of at least one party that doesn't require hole punching e.g. an internet server and the parties that do. So in case the 2 parties who are both trying to communicate behind each other are behind NAT gateways, you will need a publicly accessible server somewhere in the internet. This is really not a feature any more, but rather a concrete use case.

I don't see any reason to be able to define a packets TTL. TTL is meant to prevent packets from travelling the internet forever. Besides that, the only reason to be able to manually set it is for diagnostic purposes e.g. traceroute. In normal cases, you can rely on the operating system setting the TTL value properly.

I also don't understand what you mean by "timestamp". If you want to add a timestamp to your packets, then you can already do so. What does this have to do with being a new feature?

- Graphics: motion blur shader, shake screen
These are post-processing effects which are already possible with sf::Shader.

- Global: "inline" for short functions [like getPosition(), getRotation() ...etc]
If you enable optimizations, you will find that more often than not, the compiler is smart enough to inline calls where they make sense. The opposite is also true, they don't inline where it doesn't make sense, even if the function is marked inline by the programmer. In the end it is only a hint, and a good optimizer shouldn't need that many hints to produce a program that runs fast, even without explicit inlines.

- System: add precise clock: std::chrono
So, do you want SFML to replicate std::chrono? Is there a reason you would rather use SFML's sf::Clock rather than std::chrono? Currently, SFML's clock might even have a higher resolution than std::chrono's high_resolution_clock, so I don't understand what exactly you are requesting.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

StDH

• {⛺.⛺}
    • View Profile
    • Worst ever ^^
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »
i dont want to replace it with chrono just add something like sf::PreciseClock
<Slipxy> married.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:43 pm »
i dont want to replace it with chrono just add something like sf::PreciseClock
But sf::Clock already has maximum precision. ???
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

StDH

• {⛺.⛺}
    • View Profile
    • Worst ever ^^
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2014, 04:35:39 pm »
i am sorry......
now i see: asMicroseconds
<Slipxy> married.

magneonx

• MSN Messenger - magnumneon04@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2014, 01:58:18 am »
I wish there would be a class called Camera. That could be very handy... Panning, Viewing, Zooming, etc. Although I know you can do it on sf::View, but I think its a cool idea to add Camera.

Also, SFML should also go 3D. Maybe on SFML4 or 5?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:55 am »
I wish there would be a class called Camera. That could be very handy... Panning, Viewing, Zooming, etc. Although I know you can do it on sf::View, but I think its a cool idea to add Camera.
So you want to add a second class that does the same as sf::View but with another name? ???

Or what functionality is missing in sf::View?
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything