Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Incorrect phrasing for install SFML 2.1 on OS X  (Read 3592 times)

snowLimit

• View Profile
    • Email
Incorrect phrasing for install SFML 2.1 on OS X
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:33 am »
On this http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/start-osx.php page once you're moving around files into place for the linker a bullet point says:
  • Copy the content of lib to /usr/local/lib and copy the content of include to /usr/local/include.

It should say something like:
  • Copy the content of lib to /usr/local/lib and copy the content of include/SFML/ to /usr/local/include

When we copy the SFML folder into include and not it's contents it causes some difficult to fix linker issues. Myself and many others have had these linker issues and you can find posts in the forums where users have gone as far as wiping the HDD to get this fixed. Copying the contents of /include/SFML/ to /usr/local/lib instead of the SFML folder itself has fixed the issue for three other users I've told to try this.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Incorrect phrasing for install SFML 2.1 on OS X
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:02:27 am »
The location of SFML headers has nothing to do with linker errors. And if you refer to these headers with paths such as <SFML/Graphics.hpp> then the file has to be /usr/local/include/SFML/Graphics.hpp. So the tutorial is correct in this regard.

If you have linker errors feel free to open a discussion on the help forum. Assuming that the tutorial is wrong because of an error that you don't understand is not the right thing to do ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Incorrect phrasing for install SFML 2.1 on OS X
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:33:46 am »
Myself and many others have had these linker issues and you can find posts in the forums where users have gone as far as wiping the HDD to get this fixed.

I was sorry to hear that the guy wiped his HD for something so simple. Did you read my post after his? Most people simply don't follow 1:1 the tutorials. That's why there are soooo many posts about linker issue..
SFML / OS X developer