Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Making a game for an emulator  (Read 3335 times)

zmertens

• View Profile
Making a game for an emulator
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:14 am »
This is more of an emulator question than an SFML question but I think someone might have an answer here anyway. I was looking at the Snes9x Emulator, and I was wondering if it would be possible to make a game using a library like SFML and then somehow run the game in Snes9x emulator. In other words, make an executable that the emulator could run using the SNES specifications. I know this sounds a little pointless but I wasn't sure if its been tried or done before. Furthermore, could one make there very own hardcopy ROM and run it on a real SNES given that the hardware specifications that are in the Snes9x emulator?
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Making a game for an emulator
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:39:21 am »
This doesn't really make sense. Unless SFML gets ported to the emulator, you need to call the emulator specific function for drawing, playing audio etc.

As for the second question, why don't you ask in a forum related to the emulator? ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

zmertens

• View Profile
Re: Making a game for an emulator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 08:22:53 am »
That's a good point, I probably should've looked at the Snes9x forums. I guess I was trying to ask if anyone's ever tried to include SNES hardware for SFML (as a pet project of sorts).
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.

therocode

• View Profile
    • Development blog
Re: Making a game for an emulator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:57:39 am »
Using SFML on an emulator would be tons of work since it would require that the generated binary complies to the SNES system. Consoles like that have very specific hardware with specific parts for rendering, audio, and also the CPU is an "exotic system" in that regard. So using OpenGL based rendering is completely out of the question unless someone has implemented some kind of OpenGL implementation for SNES which i highly doubt. :D And SFML uses OpenGL for rendering. The same goes for audio and just about anything that SFML implements that would need system specific implementations.

Aside from that, you'd also need to find a compiler suite which is capable of taking C++ code and output the binary format that the SNES uses, and also package all of it with all data assets in the proper ROM format.

Theoretically, with a _lot_ of rewriting SFML using heaps of knowledge about the SNES hardware/format, and probably a lot of custom tools, then maybe it is possible. But in practice, no, not in any way that I know of. :)

anything