Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Game crash with fullscreen on intel gpu  (Read 1755 times)

jmcmorris

• View Profile
Game crash with fullscreen on intel gpu
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:30:06 pm »
I have several players reporting that the game is crashing when they either switch to fullscreen or windowed fullscreen (Style::None). I have investigated this a decent amount along with a debug stacktrace.

I'm guessing the RenderWindow creation fails but does not log anything. Later when attempting to clear the RenderWindow it crashes in RenderTarget::clear(). I can see in the stacktrace that it is deep in ig4icd32.dll (intel library). Here is a screenshot of the stacktrace and where it is at: http://grab.by/xI7s.

I know intel gpus have had issues in the past with SFML RenderTexture but I couldn't find anything mentioning this. Anyone have any ideas? I can dig into the RenderWindow in the debugger and see the state of things but I'm not sure what to look for and even if anything is useful in this case.

Some more supplemental information:
  • Works fine in windowed mode even at fullscreen resolution
  • Works fine in fullscreen mode when running on another gpu on same computer that has intel gpu
  • The window always starts in window mode and is recreated to be fullscreen when player changes settings.
  • For anyone interested, here is the original issue thread.
Let me know if there is any other information I can provide. Thank you very much for your help!

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Re: Game crash with fullscreen on intel gpu
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:19:57 pm »
You really should provide a complete and minimal example that shows the issue. We really can't do much when you don't provide anything we can actually look at.

That said, if it is crashing inside the driver then most likely SFML can not do anything about it. Best you can do is try to update the graphics driver.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: Game crash with fullscreen on intel gpu
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:33:35 am »
If you can strip the code of all operations other than the ones that reproduce the crash and construct a self-contained example that demonstrates it, we (and you) can check if it is really the driver at fault or if it only looks like it on first sight. OpenGL is notorious for being a monster of a state machine. Setting something in some undefined way somewhere might cause a crash in a completely unrelated section of code, in this case the glClear() call. As already said, the error has to be isolated more for a better analysis.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).