Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1959 times)

SilverBlaze

• sprites - chiptunes - sfx - code
    • View Profile
    • My blog.
Hello everyone!
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:11:28 pm »
Hey everybody!

My name is Sterling, but most people just call me Silver. I'm a digital artist/illustrator, musician and an alright programmer.

I'm not new to programming in any way, but I'm not very experienced either. For the past 6-7 years, I've been using GameMaker to create small prototypes and demos. I've got a ton of ideas, but have not been able to develop them far enough using what I know right now. I have one nearly finished game and a bunch of prototypes/demos.

I came across SFML after doing a google search of "Displaying an image with C++". And once I saw it and read the info on the main page, I can say that I had become one of the happiest newbie programmers to ever live. SFML sounds like the EXACT thing I've been looking for for a very VERY long time.

Even though I've been using only GML for the past few years, I do know some C++, which is what made it pretty easy to pick up on GameMaker's programming language. So I'm not a 100% newbie to programming. lol.

I am also an avid musician and digital artist. I've released 4 chiptune albums and have around 100 or so songs available online. I have also nearly completed a 50 page comic which is set to release next month.

So that's all I'll put here, as I sometimes don't know if I'm even saying anything important in these intro threads. :1

Thanks for existing SFML!!!  ;D

also.
Woo! 9000th member! :V

but at the time of posting this, the member count is... Over 9000!!! :V

lol. :b
Follow me on Twitter. (( twitter.com/silvers_tweets ))
Check out my music at (( bandcamp.com/planetaryconfinement ))

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »
Welcome then and congratulations for being the 9000th member. :)

Given the description, I can only highly advise you to first read a good C++ book before diving too much into SFML. C++ is not trivial and can not be learned through trial and error. And at last keep in mind that this forum is for SFML related things, so if you have C++ issues, you'd be better off by using something like StackOverflow. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57:03 am »
Hi, and welcome, Silver :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*