Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.2 release date  (Read 2775 times)

Marek500

• View Profile
SFML 2.2 release date
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »
Hello

I want to ask if there is any chance that SFML 2.2 is released before the next academic year (october)?

I will need to work on a bigger project on university then, but I am only allowed to use stable version of libraries, and SFML 2.1 has that insane bug with focus on Windows. And 2.0 has too many bugs in general. Currently I develop using the git version and it works well, but I will need to deploy it in november and I must do it with stable version of SFML. Is there any chance for october-november release?

It seems like the get/set focus funtion is the blocker of release as there is no work on the X11 part, unfortunately I can't help because I have no knowledge of X11 programming.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: SFML 2.2 release date
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:27:18 pm »
Ask the people who say you are only allowed to use stable libraries what they understand by the term "stable". Sure there are libraries that push changes to master everyday without extensive testing, but SFML isn't one of them. Little gets broken through a commit to master, and if it even happens, it usually gets fixed within a day.

Judging by what your post implies, you seem to think that any revision with a version number stuck onto it is "stable". Version numbers are just like git tags. They just specify a specific commit that you can use to refer to instead of providing the whole hash. They also come with pre-built library files on the website and probably also up-to-date tutorials. However, all of that doesn't mean you can't create any of these yourself for any given revision. You can build yourself and generate the documentation yourself, so there really is no difference between a tagged revision and any other revision besides the fact that you might end up having to do less work in the former case.

If, on the other hand, you are afraid of API breakage, then I can assure you this will not happen within the same major release, i.e. 2.x. The next API changes that might and probably will break code will come in 3.x, but that is still far away.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »
It seems like the get/set focus funtion is the blocker of release as there is no work on the X11 part, unfortunately I can't help because I have no knowledge of X11 programming.
That is just one issue, and I will take care of it in August when I have more time. It's not the reason why SFML 2.2 hasn't been released yet; there are many other things such as iOS and Android ports.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Marek500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:04:32 pm »
@binary1248

Thank you for your answer. I obviously know that SFML git versions are super stable (I've been using them for years), but some people on university just don't realise that git version can be stable :/ I tried to explain it but they say that the version is stable when author releases a stable version and labels it (just like 2.1 is labaled as stable on the website)... I can't do anything with it.

@Nexus

I didn't know it. Quickly looking at bug tracker I saw that basically all 2.2 issues already have patches/ongoing work and only the focus functions are far away from being finished. So it looks like I will need to have some patience or just compile it with git version and tell them it was compiled with 2.1, most likely no one will notice.