Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Word puzzle game of sorts  (Read 5836 times)

zmertens

• View Profile
Word puzzle game of sorts
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:47:16 am »
This gif basically sums it up http://i.imgur.com/UF3Q4R4.gif

The words are loaded (along with a hint) from an external file. Then one is chosen at random, sorted (alphabetically), and then you get to swap the letters back into place (point and click and then SFML will find the letter that contains mouse coords). White letters are in the wrong place, green are in the correct place. I also used the "wave-blur" shader from the SFML SDK to give the neat wave effect on the hint words.

The purpose of this project was basically to toy around with some of the basic classes in SFML and see if I could make something simple. I was also partially inspired by Vittreo Romeo's "Arkanoid in ~160 lines, " and I wanted to see if I could make something small and compact like that (although this project came out to be about ~300 lines).

One thing I thought about adding was a better predicate to sort / scramble the words, but I wasn't too focused on changing that at the time.

Anyway, I'm let me know if you have any questions or comments. I'm interested to see if anyone tries it out and likes it.  :D
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
Re: Word puzzle game of sorts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:38:21 pm »
Hi, NullPointer !
I wanted to try it, but there are no build or CMake for your project, you should at least make a windows release - it's easy to do with GitHub.
And binaries and project files should not be in your git repository.

zmertens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:36:16 am »
I added a Window release and cleaned up the repo a little. I had been using the repo to save my work so I wasn't really keeping it clean so to speak at first. I'm interested to know what you think. I want to add more graphical functionality at some point - like a little animation or something.

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:19:58 am »
It does not start. Is some DLL missing ?

zmertens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:11:49 pm »
That's strange. I have the window, system, and graphics .dll's packaged with it. I downloaded the release just to double check. I wonder if it has anything to do with GCC compiled dll's (judging by the error msg)?

Strelok

• View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Re: Word puzzle game of sorts
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:48 pm »
That's strange. I have the window, system, and graphics .dll's packaged with it. I downloaded the release just to double check. I wonder if it has anything to do with GCC compiled dll's (judging by the error msg)?
MOst likely the answer

achpile

• View Profile
    • Achpile's homepage
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:40 pm »
Use -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ flags for your linker

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Re: Word puzzle game of sorts
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
Use -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ flags for your linker
Only do that if everything else is statically linked. You'd only make your life harder by mixing dynamic and static linking. Not to mention that if the SFML libs use dynamic runtime libs you still need to ship the DLLs.

As for the personality error, it indicates that the dll hasn't been compiled with the same compiler as the application. Make sure to provide the correct DLLs.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

zmertens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:02:22 am »
OK, I switched to the DW2 downloads and uploaded the release with new DLLs. I guess I have 2 versions of MinGW on my computer (the compiler suite from their website and the one that ships with Codeblocks). I never had any issues compiling so I didn't even realize their might be an issue between the two.

Cl9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:46 am »
Looks a LOT better than my first little toy around with SFML XD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQoXqJ9jnh4).

I wouldn't include the namespace sf though... It's down to personal preference, but I used to do that and soon got annoyed by the amount of variable names that I couldn't use, Like: "Window", "Text", "Font", "Thread" etc :3

anything