Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [SOLVED] SFML 1.2 RC  (Read 35945 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
[SOLVED] SFML 1.2 RC
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 02:09:34 am »
...no return value is checked. For a sample application where you want to know "is that effect working for me?" not a good solution (in my humble opinion).

Actually, the return value will reflect the fact that :
- The file has been found
- There's no error in the pseudo-GLSL code
- No internal OpenGL call failed, which will be the case if CanUsePostFX() returned true

As I'm sure the files are there, the code contains no error and as I check CanUsePostFX(), there's no really need for checking the return value in this sample.

But anyway you're right, I should add it, that's not a good practice to show people such potentially unsafe code ;)

Failed to compile effect :
ERROR: 0:5: '*' :  wrong operand types  no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'float' and a right operand of type 'const int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
ERROR: 0:7: '<' :  wrong operand types  no operation '<' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'float' and a right operand of type 'const int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
ERROR: 2 compilation errors.  No code generated.

Ok, so apparently your driver doesn't want to consider "7" and "1" as floats. What if you replace with "7.f" and "1.f", or "7.0" and "1.0" ?

It loads and compiles without any problems but then it simply freezes the whole application - and I don't know why

That's annoying... The problem is that your driver probably doesn't support random/multiple texture lookup in the shader, but there's no way to detect it if it succeeds to compile the effect. Do you have the latest version of your driver ?

With the help of the tool "GPU Caps Viewer v1.4.0" from "oZone3D" (which can be found here) I figured out that my version of GLSL is...

...none?!?

That's right, the GLSL extensions are not exposed by your driver. How can it work ??
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

T.T.H.

• View Profile
[SOLVED] SFML 1.2 RC
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 10:35:23 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Ok, so apparently your driver doesn't want to consider "7" and "1" as floats. What if you replace with "7.f" and "1.f", or "7.0" and "1.0" ?

Using "7.0" and "1.0" or "7." and "1." in "fisheye.sfx" works fine, no errors, effect is visible while running.

But when using "7.f" and "1.f" I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
Failed to compile effect :
ERROR: 0:5: 'f' : syntax error parse error

--------------------

Do you have the latest version of your driver ?

I am using this...
Code: [Select]
- Drivers Version: 6.14.10.6436 - Catalyst 04.4
- ATI Catalyst Version String: 04.4
- ATI Catalyst Release Version String: 8.00-040322a-014266C-ATI

...which is not the newest version. The newest version is Catalyst 7.12.

I am using Catalyst 4.4 because it does not yet need the .NET Framework and mostly because it runs pretty stable with the games I play (Guild Wars, Warcraft III, UT1, UT2004, Call of Duty, etc.). And I am a fan of the "never change a running system" concept...

--------------------

That's right, the GLSL extensions are not exposed by your driver. How can it work ??

Uhm, sorry, how can work what?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
[SOLVED] SFML 1.2 RC
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 01:31:57 am »
Using "7.0" and "1.0" or "7." and "1." in "fisheye.sfx" works fine, no errors, effect is visible while running.

But when using "7.f" and "1.f" I get the following error:

Ok cool. I was not sure of the GLSL syntax for floating point numbers ;)

I am using Catalyst 4.4 because it does not yet need the .NET Framework and mostly because it runs pretty stable with the games I play (Guild Wars, Warcraft III, UT1, UT2004, Call of Duty, etc.). And I am a fan of the "never change a running system" concept...

Ok I see. No problem.

Uhm, sorry, how can work what?

The post-effects, which use GLSL, which your card says it doesn't support :D

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
[SOLVED] SFML 1.2 RC
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2008, 06:03:09 pm »
SFML 1.2 is finally out, thanks everybody for your help ;)

anything