Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [09.11.09] JeZ+Lee's"The Final Option 100%™"SOURCE  (Read 11849 times)

JeZ-l-Lee

• ICQ Messenger - 223180991
    • MSN Messenger - JeZLee@Live.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SLNTHERO@aol.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SilentHeroProductions.com
    • Email
[09.11.09] JeZ+Lee's"The Final Option 100%™"SOURCE
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:34:00 am »

C A N C E L E D

Hi,

I've started a new open-source cross-platform game based on SFML+SDL...
Not entirely sure what I will make, but I'll update this post frequently to show my progress.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well here is the Staff screen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well here is a demo of SFML/SDL game engine with a nice intro movie:
Source builds and runs on ALL Windows, and most Linuxes.
http://silentheroproductions.com/files/thefinaloption_src_0.13.zip
Read the README for more information..

Here are the sprites / backgrounds I have now:

Here are some sprite rips I did with the toy, green paper, digital camera, and GIMP

Can You Save The World In 30 minutes?™

My idea for the main player's ship is to take digital photos
of this old toy from the 1980's

Need to get some green paper to put in background to make it easier to edit.
-------------------------------------------
Game core/engine tested on:
- Linux Mint 7 Gloria
-Windows XP/Vista
- Gentoo Linux 64bit
and is running 100% on all...
OK, so I named the game: "The Final Option 100%[TM]"
& added a title screenshot!
(core engine is 100% completed)
Working on the core engine now:
SFML[1.4] - window creation, image/text rendering, mouse/keyboard input
SDL[1.2] - sound/music playback, joystick input, timing
Check back often to see what I am doing!

PS - Here is some nice ASCII art from the sources:

JeZ+Lee
SLNTHERO@aol.com
Silent Hero Productions(R)
Video Game Design Studio
http://www.SilentHeroProductions.com

JeZ+Lee
Video Game Design Studio

BoingBoing

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:57 am »
I don't believe it's 2010 yet.

That being said, I can't tell what the heck it is.

Is the window frame supposed to be it?
I provide a robust framework.
In my a-
SFML Lua Game Engine

LGV

• MSN Messenger - laureano_river@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:37:51 am »
Wow, so many [TM] and © all over the place, you seem like a lawyer rather than a programmer  :lol:. Just for curious , if the game is so open source as you said, why you put all the copyright and trademark sh*t in every screenshot you post? It's just stupid :roll: (I think you're a little bit paranoid about your "work"...)
P.S: you should consider studying marketing, you're really good on it  :lol:
P.S 2: I had the same toy but in different colours when I was a kid  :)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:31 pm »
Quote from: "LGV"
Just for curious , if the game is so open source as you said, why you put all the copyright and trademark sh*t in every screenshot you post?

Copyrights and trademarks have nothing to do with Open Source code. If he gives you the right to view, modify and redistribute the sourcecode (in short terms), it's Open Source.

But I agree that the TM marks are illegal. I haven't checked, but I really guess you have not registered "The Final Option".

l0calh05t

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 03:04:03 pm »
Quote from: "Tank"
Just for curious , if the game is so open source as you said, why you put all the copyright and trademark sh*t in every screenshot you post?

Copyrights and trademarks have nothing to do with Open Source code. If he gives you the right to view, modify and redistribute the sourcecode (in short terms), it's Open Source.

Yup, copyright is perfectly compatible with open source (just have a look at any MIT/BSD/ZLIB-style license... can't get any more open than that and they always include the copyright) Having it visible in *every* screen is absolutely silly though...

But I agree that the TM marks are illegal. I haven't checked, but I really guess you have not registered "The Final Option".

Same goes for the (R).

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that the name "PerfecT+EnginE" is displayed in an incredibly ugly scaled bitmap font...

EDIT: Also, where there ever versions 1.0-4.0? And what makes this version "GT supercharged"?

LGV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:30:10 pm »
Oops, my bad, I ain't know that  :P (I like to write code, I hate licenses, we're programmers, not lawyers :x). But still, I think if you do the game open source, it's stupid to make only the code open source and copyright all the resources, I'd do the resources "free available" too, but it's my opinion :P.  One thing I'll never understand is why someone do this kind of thread, when you have blog hosts for free in where you can show your game-in-progress hahaha :P.
P.S: just for curious, how old are you JeZ?

JeZ-l-Lee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 06:37:52 pm »
Hi,

I am 35 years old, I also have learning disability Autism.
Thanks to everyone who is interested in my little game!
JeZ+Lee
Video Game Design Studio

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »
He can decide under what license and conditions he releases his software. Opinions are different, but respect should always be paid attention at -- especially when we're talking about free stuff. At least he has something to show..

Meltra Bour

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:13:22 am »
But still, I think if you do the game open source, it's stupid to make only the code open source and copyright all the resources.

It's very common to open source the code but keep the story, art, music and in some cases even scripts under a more restrictive license. That way people can learn, use and improve your code. On the other hand it stops them from simply ripping your game and running of with your hard work ...

Nothing stupid about that  :roll:

LGV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 04:13:05 am »
And that's exactly the point. If you don't want to share you hard work, just don't do it open source. But again, opinions are opinions, we don't need to be agree. But yeah, you're right, I behaved like a real asshole, I'm apologize. And what's the difference between "use and improve your hard work" and "rip your game and run"? I don't know what do you think, but I consider my code at least the same hard work as the resources...

Meltra Bour

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:51:37 am »
First off, you make it sound like your after free beer, [censored my self here].

Sure it's all hard work, it's just a way of protecting parts of your app. Some people do it the other way around, they keep there source code hidden but allow people to mod scrips, art, music ... Ether way they don't think about sharing there work for *free*, they open up parts of there work as a marketing tool ...

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
My personal opinion is that Open Source is the only way software should be written as. That's radical, yep. ;)

However, it's really noticeable that artists have a completely different opionion about this. Have you seen often that artists give away their Photoshop project files or similar?
Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely okay, since everybody can and should decide on their own. But it's just interesting that the behaviour differs a lot in different areas.

When we take "Planeshift" (a free MMORPG) as an example, I personally don't like the licensing: Code is GPLed, game content is proprietary. I mean with what reason? Code is under no circumstances less valuable than any other content, so why such a licensing?

It's not a wonder that newbie artists will get into hard times when trying to learn their craft. There's very less to learn from. As a programmer you go to kernel.org or whatever Open Source library, program or game(!). Game graphics and content could be so much better if that sector was more open.

My 2ct.

phear-

• MSN Messenger - LOApokalypse@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://gtproductions.org
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:37 pm »
Quote from: "Tank"
My personal opinion is that Open Source is the only way software should be written as. That's radical, yep. ;)

However, it's really noticeable that artists have a completely different opionion about this. Have you seen often that artists give away their Photoshop project files or similar?
Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely okay, since everybody can and should decide on their own. But it's just interesting that the behaviour differs a lot in different areas.

When we take "Planeshift" (a free MMORPG) as an example, I personally don't like the licensing: Code is GPLed, game content is proprietary. I mean with what reason? Code is under no circumstances less valuable than any other content, so why such a licensing?

It's not a wonder that newbie artists will get into hard times when trying to learn their craft. There's very less to learn from. As a programmer you go to kernel.org or whatever Open Source library, program or game(!). Game graphics and content could be so much better if that sector was more open.

My 2ct.

So who makes money?
Eugene Alfonso
GTP | Twitter

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:50 am »
If something is free as in free beer, why shouldn't it be free as in free speech? I can't get the point here...

Believe it or not, there're enough ways to let people study software AND earn money to feed your family. One of the most popular examples is Linux. It's completely free, everyone can learn from it, modify and distribute it. But besides of that, there're tons of companies making money with exactly that product.

JeZ-l-Lee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:29:31 pm »
Hi,

I am an open source advocate.
I recently switched from Windows Vista to Linux Mint 7 Gloria.

I will be releasing the complete sources to this game when I make Beta!

Thanks again to everyone who is interested...
JeZ+Lee
Video Game Design Studio

anything