Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is SFML network enough for making MMO game  (Read 14680 times)

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Re: Is SFML network enough for making MMO game
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »
Sure you can use SFML for this... that said however - not to put you down personally, but you won't succeed. Judging from your forum posts you clearly lack the skills to create just a decent single player game. Then when you add multiplayer you must then deal with all the pitfalls that come with networking code, let alone dealing with thousands of multiple connections which would involve multithreading which would also include tons of its own pitfalls. Add to all that actual content creation...

I seriously advise you to stick to single player and once you got a decent single player game consider adding cooperative LAN play (two player game over the network). Once you do that I am sure you will see that what you are trying to do is way over your head.

And just a few links if you feel like reading more.
http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/
http://sol.gfxile.net/mmorpg.html
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:27:00 pm »
As I said I wanna create MMORPG game in the far future.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 07:40:25 pm »
far future.
So keep your questions about it, and learn / practice. Chances are that when you're finally ready to write a MMO, you've gained enough experience to be able to anwser these questions by yourself.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:03:37 pm »
But I've asked it now, so if It wasn't enough I would go with some other library.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 08:26:17 pm »
But I've asked it now, so if It wasn't enough I would go with some other library.
I have a feeling you don't even know what you are asking for.

What is "enough" for you?

What would you need in a library to make it "enough for making MMO game"?

If you can answer this one question precisely, then we will be able to give you a simple yes/no answer. If you cannot answer this question precisely, then you yourself don't know what you consider to be "enough for making MMO game" and your question is unanswerable.

We won't tell you what you need for making an MMO game. You should know that yourself. We will simply tell you whether you will find what you need in SFML or not.

So maybe now you can finally ask a question that we can answer and be done with this discussion.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:30 pm »
As far as I know sfml can handle everything. You can create server and client. and I don't know if I'm forgetting about something that I would need.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:02:11 pm by paupav »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:47 pm »
You know, you're not going to use the same library for your entire life. You have to start with something, to know what you need. Your code evolves, your skills evolve, your requirements change over the years. It's not like you'll be able to write your MMO in 6 months... ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:40:28 pm by Laurent »
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:40:32 pm »
As far as I know sfml can handle everything. You can create server and client. and I don't know if I'm forgetting about something that I would need.
Well from that point of view, if you want to make an MMO with rudimentary client-server communication, then yes, SFML networking will suffice.

It will require a lot of code that is normally handled by external libraries, but it is doable.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Lolilolight

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 12:39:07 pm »
It's doable with SFML only but difficult if you want something which is securised. (You'll probably have to manage operations on big numbers, big prime number generations, cryptography matrix, ... (very quickly))
Personnally I'm not able to do that so I use other librairies to do it.

If you want something unsesurised you can but it's at your risk.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:02:18 pm »
Stop worrying about scalability.
Stop worrying about security (encryption).
Stop worrying about performance.
Stop worrying about everything - just make a game.

Not to disillusion you, but chances are you'll never make (or work on) a MMO game. You most certainly won't if you don't manage to finish (and ship) a few smaller games first.
Once you get even close to the level of skill and experience required to be a part of building something as massive as a MMO you'll be able to answer your questions yourself (if you cannot, then you are simply not experienced enough).

Learn C++ well (will take you 5+ years). Learn your tools well. Try different libraries. Write small games (snake clone, pacman clone, tetris clone, master of Orion clone). Write simple multiplayer games (a Hearts card game is simple but challenging). Once you are done you'll find that you have more experience and know how enormous the MMO task is and you'll be more humble.

My opinion: SFML is more than enough for anything you'll ever create as an independent developer (as well as part of a small team). Just start with that and reevaluate the MMO in 5-10 years.

paupav

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:00 pm »
I've created few smaller games (3) . 1 even has menu! But 2 are  horribly programmed and 1 is bad programmed. :)
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=16130.0

Also there was no need to bump this thread I've got my answer :)

anything