Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: CLion - A new IDE from JetBrains  (Read 15534 times)

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
CLion - A new IDE from JetBrains
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:58 pm »
Although not necessarily related to SFML, it'll certainly be interesting to those developing in C++.

JetBrains (the company behind the famous ReSharper plugin for VS) released an early access preview of their brand new IDE for C/C++. It supports both GCC and Clang compilers and uses CMake for project files.

You can read more about it here and here. I literally just installed the IDE and it looks quite promising so far.

p5ych0

CLion - A new IDE from JetBrains
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »
I've heard about them developing it awhile back. Do you know what language it's programmed in?

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
Re: CLion - A new IDE from JetBrains
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »
I think they develop it primarily in Java.

MorleyDev

• "It is not enough for code to work."
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morleydev.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:17:47 pm »
I've been in on the pre-public EAP, is nice IDE. All-in-all by now it's one of the best C++ IDEs I've found, rivalling and surpassing in some aspects Visual Studio. It's based off of the same core as their other IDEs, which are also generally of high quality (IntelliJ is by far the best Java IDE, even Google has replaced Eclipse with it for Android Studio).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:33:59 pm by MorleyDev »
UnitTest11 - A unit testing library in C++ written to take advantage of C++11.

All code is guilty until proven innocent, unworthy until tested, and pointless without singular and well-defined purpose.

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »
YAJBIDEt =)
I'm sorry, but java-based IDE are extremly overengineered and slow.

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:53:27 pm »

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:36:23 pm »
Looks and feels quite nice. Is there a connection between AndroidStudio and this IDE? Because they look exactly the same  :o

AlexAUT

p5ych0

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:15 am »
I'm installing it now and I find a lot *.jar files. :(

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 02:28:01 am »
Looks and feels quite nice. Is there a connection between AndroidStudio and this IDE? Because they look exactly the same  :o

AlexAUT
It's made by the same company that makes IntelliJ, which is the IDE that AndroidStudio is based on.

Grundkurs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:07 pm »
i installed the EAP-Version of CLion today. Unfortunately its not supporting mingw-w64 compilers (which includes gcc 4.9.1 and with it c++14 facilities) so i can't use it yet and have to wait until they add support for mingw-w64.

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 07:46:34 pm »
I think there is no need to type IMHO after every message, because it's enabled by default to all of us. =) Better way is to warn others that something is NOT your own opinion.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 01:16:24 am »
The fact alone that it's based on Java drops my interest significantly. Every time I had to use Eclipse, the UI felt slow and unresponsive, and I somehow have the feeling that this might be the case here once again (although Android Studio is quite okay; it should just follow generic system UI appearance more closely).

I'll stick with Visual Studio either way (you're allowed to grab the pitchforks now).

firstep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 04:52:08 am »
How to integrate sfml and clion IDE? sorry im not a techie.. Just started learning c++

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 09:27:08 am »
The fact alone that it's based on Java drops my interest significantly. Every time I had to use Eclipse, the UI felt slow and unresponsive, and I somehow have the feeling that this might be the case here once again (although Android Studio is quite okay; it should just follow generic system UI appearance more closely).

I'll stick with Visual Studio either way (you're allowed to grab the pitchforks now).
So you're basically saying that because some other IDE (unrelated to this one in any way) was slow and unresponsive, you're going to assume that this one is slow and unresponsive too, simply because they both happen to be written in Java?

How to integrate sfml and clion IDE? sorry im not a techie.. Just started learning c++
You can grab SFML source files from GitHub, which should come with a CMake file. As CLion uses CMake files by default, I would assume that the further process would be relatively straight-forward. In case of doubt, you can also refer to the Quick Start Guide.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:03:55 am by Xornand »

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 10:31:19 am »
The fact alone that it's based on Java drops my interest significantly.

That was my first thought too. But some of the features on the list got my attention. They want to create a cross platform IDE with two of the best tools behind the scenes (gcc and cmake) with a very promising text editor capability.
The only reason I stick to VS2013 is it's very good source code editor, although lacking refactoring tools.
If CLion can beat the source code editor of VS2013 (which I think they will) I am more than willing to change my standard working IDE.