Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [WIP] Racod's Lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Released]  (Read 85208 times)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: Rage - a coop dungeon crawler
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:00 pm »
After refactoring major parts of the actual game logic (using potions, casting spells, inflicting status effects like "burn" or "frozen"), I'm reimplementing the combat system.

At the moment, most actions like attacking, using a potion or a spell, or even interacting with the environment (e.g. moving a barrier) is executed with a slight delay: The animation is started immediately, the actual action (as ItemEvent, SpellEvent etc.) is sent to a delay system. It will delay the event some milliseconds and finally forward it to the actual system that is handling the event.

Example: The player presses an action button. An ActionEvent is sent from the Input- to the ActionSystem to check e.g. whether the actor can do anything (he might be dead, stunned or just temporary not allowed to attack..). If commited, the action's animation is triggered (e.g. melee attack animation if using a sword). A combat event is generated and forwarded to the delay system. The animation will be played and after some time, the delay system will finally forward the combat event to the combat system.
At last: Damage, experience and possibly inflicted effects (a firesword might inflict "burn" to its target) will be propagated.
Later, the Hud can display "+5 EXP" or reduce the player's health bar. Also the AI can be notified about "player X damaged you with Y dmg" or "you received 'burn' by player X".

At the moment I'm very very excited about writing the later AI. But I'll stick at improving and unit testing my system at its current point.

Stay tuned 8)
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2015, 04:30:23 pm »
In the past, I was talking about XML-based modability. Here's an example about adding something like a "burning bow" (let's call it "Firebow") to the game.

<general type="Weapon" display_name="Firebow" icon_name="icon/bow" sprite_name="bow" worth="100" />
<equip slot="Weapon" melee="false" two_handed="true" />
<bullet name="fireball" />
<effect name="burn" ratio="0.1" />
<require Dexterity="15" />
<damage Bullet="10" Fire="5" />
The specified icon_name refers to "data/gfx/icon/bow.png", which should be used for quickslot shortcuts. The sprite_name refers to the object's sprite layers used to draw different equipment. I plan to show some GIFs about those layers and their animations, soon!

A flexible thing is that effect node with its "burn" effect. It refers to this XML-file:
<general display_name="Burning" />
<damage Life="-10" />
The display_name could be displayed e.g. when looking to the player's state to see active effects. As you can see: The object will lose 10 life (e.g. per second) while burning. Those nodes can be extended to realize e.g. boosts to defenses etc.

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2015, 10:44:18 am »
After refactoring major parts, I'm proud to present you some sprite animations. I seperated legs and torso and splitted those into different layers, in order to combine different sprites (e.g. basic human + heavy armor + bow) to achieve very flexible rendering possibilities. Also, attacking while moving is possible now.

Next step will be a playable demo with a subset of gameplay features - so stay tuned!

And here is one with a simple dying animation at its end:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:57:55 am by Glocke »

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 11:29:59 am »
I'm currently working on a (at least semi-well-tested) playable demo. To be able to release the demo, I reduced the subset of gameplay functionality to the following features:
  • [ Done ] Basic Gameplay (Combat, Leveling etc.), I spare you further details^^
  • [ Done ] Local Coop (including Gamepad support)
  • [ Done ] Character classes: Warrior, Rogue, Wizard
  • [ Done ] Savegame Management
  • [ Current ] Random Dungeons, but pre-generated Enemies
  • [ Planned ] Powerups (Life/Mana) dropped by Enemies
  • [ Planned ] Suitable Enemy AI
  • [ Planned ] Enemies: Thief, Giant Spider, Skeleton, Ghost
  • [ Planned ] Game Menus
  • [ Planned ] Available for Windows and Linux systems (*)
(*) I haven't compiled the game under windows, yet. But I'm looking forward to do this as the demo is near completion.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:32:50 am by Glocke »

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2016, 02:05:48 pm »
Hi guys!

since I started this project, I always compiled on a x86 computer using Ubuntu 14.10. Since my new laptop arrived, I was curious about compiling on other systems. So I setup my laptop with a Windows 7 and Ubuntu 15.04 (both 64 bit versions). Yesterday I spent time to setup the build environment on my Ubuntu 15.04 and finally made it!

Today, I'm very happy to successfully compiled my project on Windows 7 using MinGW. This sounds simple, but is a huge step towards on of my milestones. So I'm looking forward to a playable tech demo!

• [ Done ] Basic Gameplay (Combat, Leveling etc.), I spare you further details^^
  • [ Done ] Random Dungeons
  • [ Current ] Random Enemies and Loot
  • [ Current ] Suitable Enemy AI
  • [ Planned ] Game Menus
  • [ Current ] Available for Windows and Linux systems (32 and 64 bit versions)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2016, 04:59:01 pm »
Meanwhile, I finished the initial AI-Implementation using customizable Lua Script via LuaBridge!

Short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WzeasgQLU

• [ Done ] Random Dungeons
  • [ Current ] Random Enemies and Loot
  • [ Done ] Basic Enemy AI
  • [ Planned ] Game Menus
  • [ Current ] Available for Windows and Linux systems (32 and 64 bit versions)

Jabberwocky

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2016, 03:52:31 am »
I love roguelikes! 
Nice to see things up and functional in Rage.

The background art is obviously pretty barren still, but I agree with getting the core mechanics up and running before dealing with the window dressing.

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2016, 06:47:23 am »
I love roguelikes! 
Nice to see things up and functional in Rage.

The background art is obviously pretty barren still, but I agree with getting the core mechanics up and running before dealing with the window dressing.

Thannks man! But yes, the arts (in general) are pretty easy at the moment.. Gonna overhaul this once the game is in a release-near state :)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2016, 02:01:25 pm »
Hey guys!

despite the obvious inactivity in this thread ... the project itself is still alive! In the recent past, I was struggling some issues referring Pathfinding and the AI's Lua Api. But those problems are solved and I'm looking forward working on the actual game again :)

As brief update: The upcomming steps are some respawn implementation and building up the player's HUD (supporting splitscreen with a dynamic number of players etc.). Furthermore, I plan to work on a "room editor".

Since the dungeons are generated completly random, the corridors and rooms look like badly procedurally generated: unexciting, empty, boring! To solve this, I plan to add random vegetation on the corridors and hand-crafted rooms, which will be randomly distributed (including rotating and/or mirroring them) over the dungeon. I'm really curious about this ... hope you're curious too!!

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2016, 08:51:17 am »
I just nailed  the pending milestones for the playable alpha demo:
  • Game UI: This is the current milestone. This includes game menus (settings, title screen) as well as the game's hud (health bar, levelup-popups etc.)
  • Enhanced Randomization: Including a Room editor and more beautiful corridors
  • Enemies (like in the last list)
  • Powerup system: Items won't be completly implemented, so killed enemies will drop health boni etc.
  • Enhanced Code quality: Pure internal stuff (further unit testing and code documentation)
  • Initial Audio implementation: Sound effects for attacking, some basic background ambience sounds etc.

Some other features like enhanced animations or an implementation of blocking enemies' attacks will be delayed to another version. This way I try to make sure that the demo will actual be available ... some day :D

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2016, 02:37:39 pm »
I attached a screenshot of the current alpha menu's "Lobby screen". It's minimal but powerful ;) Stay tuned!

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2016, 04:32:03 pm »
Today, I'd like to preset some piece of music I wrote for becoming the "dungeon theme" of the game. The composition is still in progress, but I'm not sure which style of interpretation fits the visuals the most: Classical or chiptune style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG88cP3-ed4

What's your oppinion?

PS: I still suck at embedding videos ^^
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:58:12 am by Glocke »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2016, 12:38:06 am »
I quite like the music and I personally prefer the non-chiptune style of this piece.

To embed YouTube videos, just remove the "s" from https.
(click to show/hide)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2016, 07:59:17 am »
I quite like the music and I personally prefer the non-chiptune style of this piece.
As people most do :D

To embed YouTube videos, just remove the "s" from https.
Thanks!

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2016, 12:03:13 pm »
Meanwhile, not just terrain can cause shadows... now, also movable objects can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnyq4CPviAc

anything