Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [WIP] Racod's Lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Released]  (Read 85194 times)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: Rage - a "modern" rogue-like
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »
If all you want to have is circular visibility, you can always make an image with a transparent circle in the middle, semi-transparent black color everywhere else, then draw that on top of everything. What is outside the circle should get darker. You can even get gradient shadows with that trick.

Following the idea, I studied about lightmaps. So I pre-rendered some kind of light texture using gimp.
After binding this texture to a sprite, I render all lights using sf::BlendAdd to get the complete lightmap for the current scene. After that I render all tiles using sf::BlendMultiply and finally render all gameobjects using the default RenderState. Because currently every gameobject causes light, the final result looks like this:

http://youtu.be/7KJFtZuxFZQ

It isn't that awkward then before, but is limited to the light shape. But it works in the first place and increases the scene's atmosphere :)
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 10:37:37 pm »
This looks much better. It has progressed so much just within this thread!  :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 05:32:01 pm »
This looks much better. It has progressed so much just within this thread!  :)

Thanks! After a short weekend-holiday, I'll continue the development tomorrow. The current development goals seem amazing to me and I want to make use of my last two weeks without courses and seminars at university.

Hopefully, a limited but yet playable demo will be available soon. To all the readers and possible supporters: Thanks for your interest and previous feedback. Keep tracking this thread and giving feedback to latest changes :)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:14 pm »
Update

A first combat implementation (including simple melee combat) has been done. Also enemies now try to track the player and attack (melee or fireball, depending on their mana and the left distance). But the behavior seems stupid, yet - some real pathfinding will be introduced soon!

Also the lighting system is currently under development - and has been deactivated during the following short video:

http://youtu.be/q_Qeog6tB9E

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »
Well, lighting is yet disabled and under construction. But some other changes and improvements have been done. A description can be found at this video:

http://youtu.be/P3pyqZsI8Oc

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 08:30:40 pm »
Update

Julian finally completed the lighting system. We were prevously experimenting with shadow calculations, but abandoned this idea due to incompatibility with the current rendering approaches and desired atmosphere.

Also, I rewrote the animation rendering to allow the code to use sprites from Clint Bellanger's Flare project. Those fully animated sprites are now used by my game, including dying-animations etc.

Finally, diagonal movement has been implemented. The movement is discrete, yet. This won't change in the future. But perhaps the scaling of the discrete movment grid will be decrease in the future. Currently, I'm thinking of moving to isometric projection using pre-rendered tiles. But this decision isn't made, yet.

http://youtu.be/8Ry3yxIb1GM

Feel free to like the video and comment/discuss on the latest or possible future changes.

Credits
Sprites by Clint Bellanger
    http://opengameart.org/content/isometric-hero-and-heroine
    http://opengameart.org/content/skeleton-warrior-0
    http://opengameart.org/content/minotaur
    http://opengameart.org/content/fireball-spell

Chest sprite by Daniel Cook
    opengameart.org/content/planetcute-chest-closedpng

Tiles by mfburn
    http://opengameart.org/content/fancy-dungeon-tileset

Lighting System by Julian Kanzler
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:36:10 pm by Glocke »

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 10:00:11 pm »
The sprites do look quite nice here, especially now that you've implemented different types at once and diagonals.

The lighting's also good now. The (slight) problem, though, is that the 'newly-discovered' tiles are appearing after entering the light. It would look smoother if they appeared while still in the dark. Maybe just one tile further?

On another note, and maybe it's just the games I've been playing, but I automatically associate red damage figures as from the player.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »
The (slight) problem, though, is that the 'newly-discovered' tiles are appearing after entering the light. It would look smoother if they appeared while still in the dark. Maybe just one tile further?

Thanks. "just one tile further" seems to be the solution :) I wasn't noticing the issue until I read your post :D

On another note, and maybe it's just the games I've been playing, but I automatically associate red damage figures as from the player.

Your absoutly right, thanks! Damage inflicted to the player should be displayed red. I'll change this in the future. How do you think about displaying damage to the enemies in yellow color? Perhaps future healing to the player might become green - and healing to the player (e.g. a fire monster absorbing your fireball) blue :)

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »
How do you think about displaying damage to the enemies in yellow color? Perhaps future healing to the player might become green - and healing to the player (e.g. a fire monster absorbing your fireball) blue :)
Haha. It's your choice. It was mainly the red that was throwing me. However, since you ask (:P), the common way seems to be:
red: player damage,
green: player healing,
white: enemy damage,
yellow: crit enemy damage,
blue: special enemy damage or XP,
I may be wrong. I never really did understand the difference of the all anyway  :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:16:13 pm by Hapax »
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:24 pm »
Haha. It's your choice.

:P

red: player damage,
green: player healing,
white: enemy damage,
yellow: crit enemy damage,
blue: special enemy damage or XP

Make sense to me, thanks for that input :)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 06:39:46 pm »
Update

Well, it seems like my Rogue-like is going to look like Diablo1/2. But first, here are the recent changes:
  • Changed dungeon randomization algorithm: The dungeons now look more "natural"
  • Moved rendering code to isometric perspective: More beautiful in my opinion :)
  • The randomizer outputs "there is floor, there is wall".. The rendering code now picks the right wall tile, suitable to the surrounding
  • To make the isometric perspective look even better, I moved my dungeon tiles to the one from Clint Bellanger's Flare. Well, it looks like flare, but it isn't ;)

Enjoy watching!

http://youtu.be/28fb1n7a65A

PS: Some shader code changed to make the lighting even more scary ;)

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 07:14:16 pm »
Impressive. I like how your game has evolved from a simplistic top-down to a really nice isometric roguelike. Any chance for a demo anytime soon? :D

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 07:15:42 pm »
Impressive. I like how your game has evolved from a simplistic top-down to a really nice isometric roguelike. Any chance for a demo anytime soon? :D

Thanks! About a demo: I want to implement some basic gameplay features, first... So, no..^^ Not, yet :P

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 03:06:41 am »
I think that the development of this game qualifies the use of the phrase, "well, that escalated quickly."  :D

Again, about the colour thing, though. I'm probably wrong here but "block" in red seems wrong as the player blocking isn't actually a negative thing. I suppose it could mean that you've been attacked though, so that justifies it in my mind!

Good work  :)
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 08:56:32 am »
ms wrong as the player blocking isn't actually a negative thing. I suppose it could mean that you've been attacked though, so that justifies it in my mind!

Well, it will be escalating quickly. *block* is currently just a placeholder (including it's color etc.)

anything