Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [WIP] Racod's Lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Released]  (Read 85190 times)

Bonediggerninja

• View Profile
Re: Racod's lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Release]
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2016, 07:33:54 am »
I found a glitch I have not been able to replicate.

I switch my quickslot to no 1.
Pressed enter on a wooden chest(thought they opened)

Crash.

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »
Thx for your testing! :)

The game crashed once when pressed ESC during a game, but I've failed to reproduce this problem (Windows 10, x64). Other than that, no other significant technical issues.
Glad there's nothing significant ^^  But the crash on esc sounds really interesting :)

I would rather use the mouse for facing a direction and attacking, but if you do commit to the arrow keys to change players face direction, make so the players ALWAYS face the direction they are walking UNLESS they are pressing the arrow keys. Since you are walking through straight corridors, the enemies will always appear in front of you, so it makes sense to have you facing walking direction by default.
Yes! Mouse support and minor other input things are scheduled. Stay tuned! :)

- Make the ladders more visible so the player inevitably notice it if he finds it.

- Since there's a lot of walking around, you should consider having a sprint button if you haven't yet.

- The health bar is red. The health increased labels are green. I'm confused.
Thanks, I'll consider that!

- The ranged combat has some skill involved since you can dodge projectiles and completely avoid melee enemies, which is good. The melee combat on the other hand doesn't seem to have any skill involved. You can't block, you can't predict when the enemies' melee attacks are going to land, you hold space bar and hope you don't die. Something you can do though is strategically place your character in a 1 tile wide corridor so only one enemy can hit you at a time, so maybe you can explore this idea further when implementing abilities.
To be honest, I'm not happy with this lack of skill-involve-unbalance. I scheduled an idea on shields and blocking attacks etc. This needs definitely more work!

Anyway, it has growth potential. About your plans to change the perspective, I particularly like the top-down perspective, as long as everything is polished in the final version. These new prototype sprites look pretty good though, reminds me of Crawl.
Good job, keep up the good work!
Thank's and that's a point, too: I think the shown perspective would make it (from a graphical perspective) too similar to crawl (which I want to avoid). Until now, the pure (not slightly altered) topdown perspective is not that common afaik. Possibly a feature to keep.

I found a glitch I have not been able to replicate.

I switch my quickslot to no 1.
Pressed enter on a wooden chest(thought they opened)

Crash.
Thanks! Hmm, difficult to debug.. any console output or similar things available for this crash?
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
Since I haven't released something since quite a while, I decided to release the full source of this project on GitHub.
Maybe someone wants to dive in and revive the project.

I plan to return on some point. but idk when this will be.

https://github.com/cgloeckner/racods-lair

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: Racod's lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Release, Open Source]
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2018, 05:49:17 pm »
Meanwhile I found same spare time to continue my work. My current schedule contains improving the movement system (going away from the strict tile-attached movement to a way more "free" floating-point-like way of moving).

Hence my cmake configuration was total bullshit, I started there :D Idk when the next vital sign will appear... but it WILL! :)

So far
Glocke

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Racod's Lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Released]
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:11 pm »
I plan to change the entire physics implementation to be more flexible - and hence - be based on Box2D.
So I build a quick'n'dirty example program for integration Box2D into a simple SFML-Application in the context of a topdown perspective.

I'm looking forward implementing the lessons I've learned 8)

GitHub Link to the example: https://github.com/cgloeckner/sfml-box2d-demo

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Racod's Lair - a coop dungeon crawler [Demo Released]
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2018, 01:55:42 pm »
Working on v0.2-alpha

Atm, the major milestone is overhauling the entire physics system to purely float-based movement and proper collision (using different 2d collision shapes). After a sh*t pile of work and unit testing, I finally was able to make the game run again :D

#RefactoringIsKing