Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Building SFML from source on Ubuntu 14.x  (Read 6188 times)

jantzen

• View Profile
Building SFML from source on Ubuntu 14.x
« on: November 07, 2014, 05:11:55 am »
I put together a tutorial on building SFML from the latest source on Ubuntu 14.x

I learned a little bit, so I thought I would share.

Moved to: http://jantzeno.github.io/2014/11/07/Build-SFML-on-Ubuntu-14.x.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:54:56 am by jantzen »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Building SFML from source on Ubuntu 14.x
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 08:01:06 am »
Thanks for sharing.

But if you just learnt something, do you think it is wise to teach it to others? Your symbolic link issue is probably due to your environment, and certainly not related to SFML at all. You also forgot one important step: the install target. Your usage of cmake also shows that it was one of the first times you used it (you don't need to explicitly write "CMakeLists.txt" on the command line). Instead of building the list of dependencies from trial and error, there is a complete list available in the tutorials.

And your next tutorial, how different will it be from the official "Getting started" tutorial?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

jantzen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »
Thanks for reviewing the tutorial, but if you think it's really that bad, I will gladly remove it.

The tutorial is not set in stone, I can change, add, and remove it.  I started with the official tutorial, but I spent more time on Google than I did the tutorial page.  I had intended for the Ubuntu tutorial to compliment the official tutorial, just specifically related to Ubuntu, not just SFML.  Apparently I missed the mark.

I am not a CMake expert, but again I can change or add to the tutorial.
The complete list of dependencies in the official tutorial has changed, udev is now a requirement on Linux.  Also, in the future if xlib is replaced by xcb the official tutorial will, again, not match.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »
No, I was not suggesting to remove the tutorial ;)

About the new things: the documentation and tutorials will of course be updated when the corresponding release (2.2) will be out. Until then, yes, there's a more or less short time span during which the information is incomplete, but people who use the latest sources instead of a properly documented official release, can probably figure out what needs to be done (the task tracker and forum contain all the needed information). But as soon as SFML 2.2 is out, your tutorial will be outdated (if more things change) or at least redundant. Writing stuff about latest sources is ok and necessary, but it should also be maintained in order to avoid confusing users when code is later cleaned and released. An easy improvement would be to add the date and/or revision that your tutorial is based on ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »
I did the same thing half a year ago, but with the 2.1 Release, not the master from GitHub. I think my tutorial could be updated to use git for master builds too ;)

anything