Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Use of SOIL and SFML  (Read 2905 times)

RixCoder

• View Profile
Use of SOIL and SFML
« on: September 26, 2009, 08:11:42 am »
I want to experiment with a point sprite particle engine. Since I can't really define such behavior for sfml sprite objects, which is fine, I figured I would just find an easy image loading library and just do things manually easy enough.
So I found SOIL. Sweet. Figure i'll use sfml for the render window setup and just write everything else manually through openGL calls using SOIL to load my images.

Well, SFML uses SOIL inside of it ( didn't know that before ) so if I try to include soil.h with it's library linked in the project, I get linker errors for it already being defined.
So I remove the header and linked library thinking "ok, sfml already has this included inside it for me ". But,  if I try to use the example functions from soil's tutorial to load an image it doesn't recognize any of them.

So basically am I stuck now? Its seems trying to include soil manually into the project causes linker errors, and without including it, the project doesn't recognize functions that it should from the soil library.

Im using SFML 1.5 ( static libraries )

E: Is it at all possible to use sf::image and bind that manually for use within a point sprite system?

K-Bal

• View Profile
    • pencilcase.bandcamp.com
    • Email
Re: Use of SOIL and SFML
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:22:51 am »
Quote from: "RixCoder"

E: Is it at all possible to use sf::image and bind that manually for use within a point sprite system?

Code: [Select]
sf::Image::Bind();

I can't say anything related to Soil. However, there is a ready to use particle engine here in the forum. I think it's called SPARK (?) .
Listen to my band: pencilcase.bandcamp.com

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Use of SOIL and SFML
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:12:35 am »

Of course. You can even use sf::Image to load the pixels (like you would do with SOIL) and construct your own OpenGL texture from it (see the OpenGL sample in the SDK).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

RixCoder

• View Profile
Use of SOIL and SFML
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 06:20:22 pm »
<3 <3 <3