Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Escape From Fog - 3D fps  (Read 9120 times)

zmertens

• View Profile
Escape From Fog - 3D fps
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:58:58 am »

Escape From Fog

I am working on a first person shooter similar to Wolfenstein 3D, but will have additional features and a kind of surrealistic themed gameplay. The objective of the game is to shoot the point-sprites (they're supposed to be minotaurs) and not die. The music and sound effects are pretty hashed together as well as the sprites. I'm focusing mostly on the programming right now and not so much the artwork. Much of the features are adapted from tutorials that I've found regarding OpenGL tutorials which gives the project a sort of a Frankenstein structure to it. I'm using SFML 2.3 (naturally), OpenGL 4.3, AssImp, and FreeType libraries.

Use left mouse button to shoot the bullets. Each level ends when the player hits the exit signs and then another level is automatically loaded. They're only three levels right now and when you get to the third level it resets back to the first level.

The video below shows a full walk-through of the three levels, combat, animations, sound effects, and some other aspects of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4LKMiDp2ZE

Image Album

GitHub

TODO List (in no particular order)
  • More descriptive HUD
  • Better level design including a skybox style level.
  • Better soundtrack and sound effects (3D spatialization)
  • Add networking capabilities so multiple players can join
  • Add joystick support

Bugs
  • The bullets run out at the moment for some strange reason. I need to come up with a better method of instancing

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:06:48 am by zwookie »
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.

marchred

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: a small 3D maze game (working to become a shooter)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:57:32 pm »
Sound's fun :)

I lack the time to join you on this "Just For Fun" project.

Anyway you remind me when I try to do something, always thinking bigger than previously.... mister I want 3d models from blender ;).

You can just try something fun at first, so maybe more focus on the game design and level design (secret rooms, special weapons/ammos, etc.).

It is not as simple as it may sound.... (just saying... in case you're really like me....)

Buuuuut it's just my opinion, I'm often wrong.

Anyway, have fun ;).

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Re: a small 3D maze game (working to become a shooter)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:26 am »
Oh dear those basic textures. X_X Any way to make it easier to look at especially on the corners?  Nice idea though. :)
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

zmertens

• View Profile
Re: Escape From Fog - 3D Maze game
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:51:49 am »
I decided to change the project, so I edited out all the original text I had (regarding the FPS clone). I figured I'd use the same post since this is still essentially the same project.

Oh dear those basic textures. X_X Any way to make it easier to look at especially on the corners?  Nice idea though. :)
I want to try to do procedural textures like wood or marble (mostly just for the sake of doing it).  :D

marchred

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:59:23 pm »
I want to try to do procedural textures like wood or marble (mostly just for the sake of doing it).  :D

check Perlin Noise <3 (I'm sure you already know it)

Perlin noise 2d => texture bois/marble/etc.
Perlin noise 3d => volumetric fog/cloud/etc.

zmertens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:12:05 pm »
I uploaded an image album and a brief video as well as some other information on this project. I'm hoping to have a playable version that can be downloaded in a couple days (I've been having trouble getting my binaries to run on my test machines).

zmertens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:22:41 am »
I'm back to trying to make this into a basic first-person shooter. I'm trying to give it kind of a surrealistic vibe. I have bullets working and I'm now working on getting some enemies (which will be billboarded sprites). I made some changes to the lighting, models, and added a Post-Processor class which lets you use grayscale, inversion, sharpen, and other render effects. I have all the controls listed in the README.md file on GitHub. I hope to make a general video once I have the enemies implemented.

edit: video walk-through added
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:48:32 pm by zwookie »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »
This has come along so much since the (original) first post. Keep it up! :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

DarkRoku12

• Lua coder.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 02:25:13 am »
See so cool.

You have a great skills using the OpenGl support. working with the OpenGL API is hard.

I will enjoy play the game when released.  :D
I would like a spanish/latin community...
Problems building for Android? Look here

zmertens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:02:58 am »
@DarkRoku and Hapax, thanks for the feedback  :)!

I added a new video to the OP which shows the combat features, animations, crosshair, and some other stuff I've been working on. My next step will be better instancing and a more descriptive HUD (maybe one that has the top-down view of a level). Also some kind of options menu / GUI would be useful, but I don't want to go overboard. I'll probably just use the FreeType and set the color of the text when the user mouses over (although that could cause issues since the mouse locks (and disappears) right now when the user clicks.

Does anyone know OpenGL instancing really well? I figured out how to set it up but I'm not sure how to translate each individual instance (after they've been initialized). I have a call that looks like:

(click to show/hide)

This will handle the positions of each instance correctly using the transformData vector, but I can't quite figure out how to translate the instances during gameplay. I have an object which represents the instances, Model, and I can transform the Model object but it will make those transformations to every instance. Here's what my shader code looks like:

(click to show/hide)

I figure I have to use the "gl_InstanceID" variable I think but I'm not quite sure how. I think maybe have a uniform mat4 container which contains the appropriate translation, and then index the container using gl_InstanceID?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:06:43 am by zwookie »