Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Looking for Indie Rockstar Codah (+new user introduction)  (Read 4961 times)

c023-dev

• View Profile
Looking for Indie Rockstar Codah (+new user introduction)
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:32:09 am »
Hi! Hello and Greetings!

This is my first post so I might as well give a short note about my person:
My name is Boney Dog Lee James, (or just James) I have worked on a few video games since 1999 and started a private adventure into indie development about 2 years ago. And anyone who is easily offended (by things like: naked girls, big guns and 2d arcade action), you probably won't like me, so nothing left to see here! Please move on and don't waste time!

Since I have spent most of my earlier career as artist I would say that is my stronger skill. I would not consider myself a code ninja but I was able to get a few engines and frameworks up and running in different languages and made one smooth BIG prototype game that rocks! But mostly I've been using ActionScript3 and TypeScript (in VS) ... Now I need something faster than flash. Targeting STEAM.

And I think I am ready to form a duet. Maybe with someone skilled in SFML ? Maybe someone who is independent and looking for an artist with an extremely cool project?
Or maybe someone who can watch my back and show me some SFML magic in times of need?

For that reason I may be lurking here for a while until I find anything else useful to contribute.

So, if you consider yourself a freaking insane fukkin rockstar coder from outer space ... DO CONTACT ME! Got cake! If you are looking into becoming one, maybe we can work that out too! But you should at least have a few Months of spare time and a few solid skills that you feel confident about to get started.

Thanks for reading and another big HELLOOOO!!!

Kind regards,
James
www.dev-zoo.net

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for Indie Rockstar Codah (+new user introduction)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 07:00:12 am »
But mostly I've been using ActionScript3 and TypeScript (in VS) ... Now I need something faster than flash. Targeting STEAM.
If you just need something faster than flash and know ActionScript3 well already then maybe haxe could interest you: http://haxe.org/

As for the rest of your post - that's an interesting story and interesting offers.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

c023-dev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
If you just need something faster than flash and know ActionScript3 well already then maybe haxe could interest you: http://haxe.org/

Haxe and Haxeflixel are installed here but I'm not happy with it's cpp implementation and my main targets are desktop windows, linux and mac. The performance didn't convince me with the tests I made, it is a good allrounder though. Aside from all the overhead involved, it just didn't feel right.

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 11:30:22 am »
Are you looking for an experienced developer who gets the work done and is also easy to work with, or someone who calls themselves a freaking insane fukkin rockstar coder from outer space? Because sometimes those are two different types of people ;)

Anyway, my main question is: Is this an actual job offer for which you will pay money, or are you looking for someone to code for free?

c023-dev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:49:11 am »
Yes getting the job done is main requirement.

And yes there is money involved. However not up front but revenue share of the STEAM sales. The game has been greenlit and the community is growing.

And you are right about rockstars not always being easy. I was rather referring to somebody with the drive and attitude to make stuff awesome. But'experienced developer who gets the work done and is also easy to work with' is pretty important yes.

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 03:17:32 am »
lol make sure whoever you get knows how to use your choice of source control as well since that will help in getting things done without too many issues. :)
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

c023-dev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:14:58 am »
about source control, that would not be my concern. As artist I can adapt. But I cant afford perforce nor alienbrain, so that narrows it down.

Still looking... I will be making some web based games in the meantime.

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
Github and Visual Studio Online work well for free source control solutions in the case of visual studio.  As for Code::Blocks I know it can connect to Github but I forget how to.  As for other free source controls out there that help with art, sound, and other things in addition to the code.  I'd have to hunt through the internet again to find them.  There are lots of free ways to make sure everyone is using what everyone has worked on and to not accidentally mess up other people's work on the team.
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »
Git is free (Free Software even) but Github is NOT free if you want private repositories.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 10:05:56 pm »
Doesnt anyone care about mercurial :(?

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 05:17:33 am »
Git is free (Free Software even) but Github is NOT free if you want private repositories.

Bitbucket is (I think)
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 05:41:54 am »
Bitbucket is free to teams of up to 5 people and you can have unlimited repositories. It supports Git and HG (Noone cares about SVN).

c023-dev

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 09:50:35 pm »
Version control is not the topic here. But thanks for the advice.