Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Unamed 2D rpg game  (Read 2139 times)

lezebulon

• View Profile
Unamed 2D rpg game
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:21:08 am »

Hi,

I've been working on this for the past couple weeks. So far this is a basic "engine" that is using a tileset to display the world as a 2D grid.
Commands :
arrow keys
F - flashlight
X/C/V - change zoom
E - fire projectiles (you can keep the button down)

file in ressources/ folder contains the config files as plain text, you should be able to edit things if you want, the entry point is Game.txt

I'm interested in any bugs you find, and also if you manage to keep a decent framerate even with dezoom.

download link : http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=83962

Also, I'm looking for a name for this "engine", if anyone has an idea :)

NekoFuu

• View Profile
Re: Unamed 2D rpg game
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:12:01 am »
I didn't play it much longer than a minute, but I did test a few things out that I'll run by you. I'll start by saying some or all of this may have been completely intentional, but as you didn't mention it in your original post, I'll comment on it.

Holding 'Q' makes the player move left at high speed with no animation. Likewise, 'D' does the same thing in the right direction, 'S' in the down direction, and 'Z' in the up direction. The sprites change to the appropriate facing base sprite when the keys are pressed, so for that reason I felt like it may have been for debugging purposes to quickly check if the different areas were being loaded correctly.

Also, when firing the projectiles, I can hold down the button and it will fire continuously. This also works while moving in any direction. If I am holding the UP key while firing projectiles, and then begin holding the RIGHT key so that I'm moving in the North-East direction, the projectiles continue firing. However, if I begin by moving North-East while firing continuously, it will stop firing if I take a finger off of one of the movement keys (say I let go of the RIGHT key but keep holding the UP key, so I go from moving North-East to just North).

If the last one is a feature, it's kind of odd, but I'm almost certain something there is a bug. I hope it was at least understandable.

Small edit: Apparently, the projectiles will stop firing regardless of what key is pressed, even if the additionally pressed key has no function.

lezebulon

• View Profile
Re: Unamed 2D rpg game
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:15:29 pm »
Hi!
thanks for the feedback ! I forgot to mention that the WASD keys (or ZQSD keys) are also intended to be bound to mouvement key but that's just supposed to allow easier debug.
thanks for your other point about the projectiles, I didn't realize that

anything